Error while sending e-mails with attachments using SmtpClient::SendAsync

mukesh bhakta

Error while sending e-mails with attachments using
SmtpClient::SendAsync Options
first. To make this topic appear first, remove this option from
another topic.
Standard view View as tree
Proportional text Fixed text

1 message - Collapse all

The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to
this group will make your email address visible to anyone on the
Internet.

mukesh bhakta View profile
More options May 14, 10:46 am

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms
From: mukesh bhakta <[email protected]>
Date: 13 May 2007 17:46:04 -0700
Subject: Error while sending e-mails with attachments using
SmtpClient::SendAsync
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this
author
Hi guys,

I get an error when I send e-mails with attachments using SmtpClient.
Following is the code snippet -

MailMessage msg = new MailMessage(from, to);
/*...all the initialization goes here */

byte [] data = /* some binary data */
using (MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream(/*att.Contents*/))
{
using (StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter(ms))
{
sw.Write(data);
sw.Flush();
ms.Position = 0;

System.Net.Mail.Attachment natt = new
System.Net.Mail.Attachment(
ms, "test.txt");
msg.Attachments.Add(natt);
}

}

private static void sendCompletedCallback(object sender,
AsyncCompletedEventArgs e)
{
if (e.Cancelled)
{
logmsg("E-mail send cancelled");
}
else if (e.Error != null)
{
System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(e.Error.ToString());
logmsg(e.Error.Message + ' ' +
e.Error.InnerException.Message);
}
else
{
logmsg(success)
}

}

The error I am getting in the above method is -

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. --->
System.NotSupportedException: Stream does not support reading.
at System.Net.Mime.MimeBasePart.EndSend(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.Mail.Message.EndSend(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.SendMessageCallback(IAsyncResult
result)

What am I doing wrong? The code seems to work fine if no attachment
is
supplied.

cheers

MB

Moty Michaely

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms
From: mukesh bhakta <[email protected]>
Date: 13 May 2007 17:46:04 -0700
[...]

Hi,

Is it working synchronously?

Moty

mukesh bhakta

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms
From: mukesh bhakta <[email protected]>
Date: 13 May 2007 17:46:04 -0700
[...]

Moty- Hide quoted text -

Nope. Send() does not come back with notifications of error while
SendAsync() does.