    When I try to add a title or an effect to my video, Movie Maker closes automatically.
    Does anyone else have the same problem and how can I solve it?
    Thanks

    Guest, Jul 28, 2004

    John Kelly Guest

    Hello there,

    You sound as though you are suffering from a codec problem. There are two root
    causes and below you will find the solution for each together with some notes
    on other issues.

    1)

    The one stop solution for that is a program called Rename Codecs and it is
    available from my web site (Free). Make sure you check out the FAQ, on the
    site, on what it does and how to run it (That will take about one minute of
    your time!!) All the info you need is on the web site.

    This reassuringly safe to use program requires no knowledge on your part about
    what it is doing or how it is doing it or what it is doing it too!!! neither do
    you need to know where any of these files are or whether it is safe to rename
    them or not.....and best of all, ITS FREE !!!

    2)

    If this does not solve your problem then try the following out...it has proved
    to be a successful procedure for a variety of problems.

    1) Download the full version of DirectX Ver 9.0b, Media Player 9 and Movie
    Maker 2.

    2) Reboot you computer and Install DirectX

    3) Reboot again and install Windows Media Player 9

    4) Reboot yet again and install Movie Maker 2

    5) Reboot one more time

    Yes it sounds very tedious, but if you want to be certain all file locks are
    removed so that the correct files can be installed this is the way you have to
    go.

    It is very important that you only download the full versions of these programs
    and that you DO NOT attempt an install over the internet.

    Other Notes
    ===========
    Graphics Acceleration
    ---------------------

    There is advice floating around that you should disable the graphics
    acceleration abilities of your graphics card if Movie Maker locks up or crashes
    out. Doing this is roughly equivalent to taking out your current graphics card
    and replacing it with one that is several years old....this is not the way
    forward!

    The Graphics card on the machine I edit on is a cut above the average, it has
    DV In & Out as well as Video In & Out. It does all sorts of clever things and
    it is extremely fast. Then the day came when I tried Movie Maker 2 for the
    first time. It was a disaster. Knowing what the problem was I immediately
    logged on to Microsoft and got the latest driver. There was no change with the
    performance of the Graphics card with respect to Movie Maker. After a lot of
    messing about I went to the cards manufacturer and downloaded there most recent
    driver. I was convinced that the one from Microsoft was in some way defective.
    It turned out that I was right but for the wrong reason.

    The version of the driver from Microsoft was more recent than the one on my
    system AND more recent than the one from the OEM.BUT, the OEM had made minor
    changes to how the card worked and these were not taken into consideration by
    the Microsoft update!!!

    So, do not get the generic update from Microsoft until you have tried the
    latest driver from the manufacturer of your card.

    Registration
    ------------

    There is in my view some very bad advice floating around that tells you to
    unregister the offending codec. If you take this advise be warned that
    unregistering any file and doing it wrong will more than likely stop the
    program that file belongs to from working all together and may in an extreme
    situation cause your entire XP system to fail. This is true whether you make a
    mistake using the Registry editor or the registration program itself, one
    mistake and you are potentially in deep trouble. Whatever you unregister in
    this manner has to be restored and you should take note that the registration
    of a codec can often involve more than one registry entry. If you are expert in
    these matters you will have no problem.

    I have also found that MP3, Mpeg and Jpeg files can cause problems, So...

    Convert all MP3 to WAV

    Convert all MPeg to AVI

    Convert all Jpeg to BMP

    Video Conversion
    ----------------

    For Video Conversion you should also check out the Knowledge Base Section of my
    "Great Links" One of the website's in there "Video Help" has the best
    collection of useful information I have yet come across on converting between
    the various formats together with links to the software needed.

    --
    Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    www.the-kellys.org

    John Kelly, Jul 28, 2004

    Guest, Aug 9, 2004

    John Kelly Guest

    Hello there,

    You sound as though you are suffering from a codec problem. There are two
    root causes and below you will find the solution for each together with some
    notes on other issues.

    Option 1)

    The one stop solution for that is a program called Rename Codecs and it is
    available from my web site (Free). Make sure you check out the FAQ, on the
    site, on what it does and how to run it (That will take about one minute of
    your time!!) All the info you need is on the web site. The latest version is
    1.51.

    This reassuringly safe to use program requires no knowledge on your part
    about what it is doing or how it is doing it or what it is doing it too!!!
    neither do you need to know where any of these files are or whether it is
    safe to rename them or not.....and best of all, ITS FREE !!!

    Option 2)

    If this does not solve your problem then try the following out...it has
    proved to be a successful procedure for a variety of problems.

    1) Download the full version of DirectX Ver 9.0b, Media Player 9 and Movie
    Maker 2.

    2) Reboot you computer and Install DirectX

    3) Reboot again and install Windows Media Player 9

    4) Reboot yet again and install Movie Maker 2

    5) Reboot one more time

    Yes it sounds very tedious, but if you want to be certain all file locks
    are removed so that the correct files can be installed this is the way you
    have to go.

    It is very important that you only download the full versions of these
    programs and that you DO NOT attempt an install over the internet.

    Other Notes
    ===========
    Graphic Card Acceleration

[...]

    Convert all MP3 to WAV or WMA

    Convert all MPeg to AVI

    Convert all Jpeg to BMP

    Video Conversion

    For Video Conversion you should also check out the Knowledge Base Section
    of my "Great Links > Knowledge Base" One of the website's in there called

    John Kelly, Aug 9, 2004