Error: The printer name is invalid

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Printing' started by Andy Jones, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Andy Jones

    Andy Jones Guest

    Error: The printer name is invalid

    Subject matter says it all.

    This is a locally attached printer via the LPT1 printer port on a
    Windows 2000 Server SP4.

    I've tried attaching it to other Windows 2000 Servers with SP3 and the
    same problem exists.

    After successfully be able to connect to this shared printer from
    other Windows 2000 Professional SP3/SP4 computers, I now believe the
    fault lies with this one notebook which happens to be on Windows 2000
    SP2. Is this the cause?

    The printer is a Lexmark Optra SC 1275. The printer is shared on the
    server with various share names, and even if I change the sharename to
    printer/anything, I still get Error: The printer name is invalid, when
    browsing the printer share see picture at
    http://www.cyrusconsultants.demon.co.uk/printer.jpg

    I've searched the registry of this machine, looking for printer driver
    names, and sharenames and find nothing.

    Any ideas as to what the problem is. I do not want to have to
    implement SP3/SP4 on this workstation, unless someone can tell me
    conclusively this is the fix for the problem.

    Regards

    Andrew

    Andy Jones, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Andy Jones

    Andy Jones Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:16:26 +0100, Andy Jones
    <> wrote:

    >Error: The printer name is invalid
    >
    >Subject matter says it all.
    >
    >This is a locally attached printer via the LPT1 printer port on a
    >Windows 2000 Server SP4.
    >
    >I've tried attaching it to other Windows 2000 Servers with SP3 and the
    >same problem exists.
    >
    >After successfully be able to connect to this shared printer from
    >other Windows 2000 Professional SP3/SP4 computers, I now believe the
    >fault lies with this one notebook which happens to be on Windows 2000
    >SP2. Is this the cause?
    >
    >The printer is a Lexmark Optra SC 1275. The printer is shared on the
    >server with various share names, and even if I change the sharename to
    >printer/anything, I still get Error: The printer name is invalid, when
    >browsing the printer share see picture at
    >http://www.cyrusconsultants.demon.co.uk/printer.jpg
    >
    >I've searched the registry of this machine, looking for printer driver
    >names, and sharenames and find nothing.
    >
    >Any ideas as to what the problem is. I do not want to have to
    >implement SP3/SP4 on this workstation, unless someone can tell me
    >conclusively this is the fix for the problem.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Andrew

    okay, I've upgraded from SP2 to SP3, and it's made no difference, I
    still get the above error.

    AJ

    Andy Jones, Oct 6, 2003