Windows 7 error running scripts

Reaction score
Hi, I got hit by a trojan the other night, I have managed to recover most of what I lost..I am bug hunting. I keep seeing an "an error has occured in the scripts on this page"..the source of the error it says is a site online...I'm not at the site..nor have I launched explorer or firefox.
I no longer have Explorer on this machine as I don't like it..all I keep seeing with regards to this problem is "get firefox this would never have happened"...I have firefox..and its all I use. I am concerned my comp is trying to get me to that site or feeding info..can anyone tell me if they have an idea or have seen this before? (I'm on Win7)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
aww man. that sucks. do you have any idea what the trojan is? I would research in that direction. Typically, you can find sites that will assist in removing active portions of the files used.

As with any virus, I recommend booting to Safe Mode and troubleshooting from there first. You can try Safe Mode with networking, which should allow you to connect to the interwebz if necessary. However, if you can avoid it, I would.

I would install MS Security Essentials. It's free and does a decent job at catching viral activity.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

Good luck!

Reaction score
aww man. that sucks. do you have any idea what the trojan is? I would research in that direction. Typically, you can find sites that will assist in removing active portions of the files used.

As with any virus, I recommend booting to Safe Mode and troubleshooting from there first. You can try Safe Mode with networking, which should allow you to connect to the interwebz if necessary. However, if you can avoid it, I would.

I would install MS Security Essentials. It's free and does a decent job at catching viral activity.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

Good luck!
yeah..done all that..its still poppin..driving me nutz :p anyone else have anything?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
What are you doing when the scripts error presents itself? From the description, i envision a computer, freshly booted, waiting at a desktop for user input and <BAM> script notice. Is this correct?

At that point, I would investigate the processes running on the machine currently. Process Explorer does a decent job at breaking out the processes requiring resources.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

I would stare incessantly at this screen waiting for the script error to pop. With Process Explorer in a maximized state, you should find the process fairly quickly. I imagine, though, that whatever is running is listed as a svchost.exe. However, when watching the script error, you should see a flicker of CPU usage with that svchost. You can try to kill the particular svchost associated with it.

Did you ever actually identify what trojan you had on the system?

Ask a Question