Error renaming Worksheets when addin is loaded

vandenberg p

Hello:

I wrote an addin that works fine in Excel 2003. But when loaded in Excel 2007 it
causes a crash if I try to rename a worksheet in any file I happen to have open.
If I unload the addin the problem goes away.

The addin has several thousand of lines of code and I don't have a clue to where the
problem is. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might look for the problem?
Or what kinds of routines are likely to cause this type of problem?

Thanks for any isight.

Pieter Vandenberg

Jim Cone

I don't have XL 2007 (thank you) but you should be able, in the VBE,
to go to Tools | Options | General (tab) and change the Error Trapping
selection to "Break on all Errors".
Then try renaming a sheet, the code should stop when the error occurs
and you will be able to see the troublesome section.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"vandenberg p"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
Hello:
I wrote an addin that works fine in Excel 2003. But when loaded in Excel 2007 it
causes a crash if I try to rename a worksheet in any file I happen to have open.
If I unload the addin the problem goes away.

The addin has several thousand of lines of code and I don't have a clue to where the
problem is. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might look for the problem?
Or what kinds of routines are likely to cause this type of problem?

Thanks for any isight.
Pieter Vandenberg

vandenberg p

Jim:

Thank you, that's a good suggestion and I will give it a try, I don't have a good feeling
about 2007 yet, maybe it will "grow on me." I still use 2003 for most everything.

Pieter Vandenberg

:
: I don't have XL 2007 (thank you) but you should be able, in the VBE,
: to go to Tools | Options | General (tab) and change the Error Trapping
: selection to "Break on all Errors".
: Then try renaming a sheet, the code should stop when the error occurs
: and you will be able to see the troublesome section.
: --
: Jim Cone
: San Francisco, USA
: http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware

wrote in message
Hello:
I wrote an addin that works fine in Excel 2003. But when loaded in Excel 2007 it
causes a crash if I try to rename a worksheet in any file I happen to have open.
If I unload the addin the problem goes away.

The addin has several thousand of lines of code and I don't have a clue to where the
problem is. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might look for the problem?
Or what kinds of routines are likely to cause this type of problem?

Thanks for any isight.
PieterVandenberg

Hello:

Finally got back to the project and the problem is that Excel crashes
so you do not have a chance to choose to debug. And it does appear to
be a problem within Excel not in my routine, although it does appear
that my routine contributes to the problem, but Excel should really
not be crashed by something my add-in does.

Anyway still looking for any feedback on how I can trace the problem.
Thanks.

Pieter

vandenberg p

:> I don't have XL 2007 (thank you) but you should be able, in the VBE,
:> to go to Tools | Options | General (tab) and change the Error Trapping
:> selection to "Break on all Errors".
:> Then try renaming a sheet, the code should stop when the error occurs
:> and you will be able to see the troublesome section.
:> --
:> Jim Cone
:> San Francisco, USAhttp://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
:> (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)
:>
:> "vandenbergp"
:> <[email protected]>
:> wrote in message
[...]

I wanted to follow up with the comment that if I change the sheet name
programmatically with a routine such as:

Sub renamesheet()
Dim Rsheet As String
Rsheet = InputBox("New Name of Sheet", , "Result")
ActiveSheet.Name = Rsheet
End Sub

Excel 2007 will not crash.

Pieter