Error on startup...

StMaSi

Upon login to the workstation, I am greeted with this
error message:

The procedure entry point GetPrinterA could not be
located in the dynamiclink library SPOOLSS.dll

What the heck is this?

This is a win2kpro machine that has operated flawlessly
for approximately 2 years now. Nothing has recently been
installed or removed from the machine.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Snoopy2010

Did you ever get a fix for this? I'm having the
same issue on an NT 4.0 box w/latest SP. I can't
find the spoolss.dll file on the NT Server CD.
I was thinking the spoolss.dll file was corrupt
and might need to be copied over. Any info would
be appreciated.

Thanks.

(e-mail address removed)
*Upon login to the workstation, I am greeted with this
error message:

The procedure entry point GetPrinterA could not be
located in the dynamiclink library SPOOLSS.dll

What the heck is this?

This is a win2kpro machine that has operated flawlessly
for approximately 2 years now. Nothing has recently been
installed or removed from the machine.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Snoopy201

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "StMaSi" <[email protected]>
Subject: Error on startup...
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:25:15 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

--

This can be caused by corruption of the print subsystem dynamic linking library files (.dll)

OR

Missing or corrupt registry entries for the same files.

OR

Corrupt or conflicting third party port monitors.

Windows 2000
To resolve this issue, perform the following steps:

1. Open a Command Prompt window by clicking Start, then Run, typing "CMD" without the quotation marks, and click OK.

2. Insert the Windows 2000 installation media.

3. Change to that drive by using the command line "<drive>:" without the quotation marks where <drive> is the appropriate
drive letter for your cdrom drive.

4. Expand the print subsystem files from the original installation media into their proper folders using the following
command lines

Expand spoolss.dl_ c:\winnt\system32\spoolss.dll
Expand spoolsv.ex_ c:\winnt\system32\spoolss.exe
Expand localspl.dl_ c:\winnt\system32\localspl.dll

5. Close the Command Prompt window by typing "EXIT" without the quotation marks and pressing Enter.

6. Register each of the files from the Run line using the following command line:

Regsvr32 <filename>

where <filename> is the name of the file.

7. Open the registry editor by clicking Start, then Run, typing "regedit" without the quotation marks, and clicking OK.

8. Select the Print registry key and back it up by clicking Export on the File menu.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print

9. Expand the Print key and select the Monitors key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

10. Delete all third party port monitors. The default port monitors for Windows 2000 are:

AppleTalk Printing Devices (When Services for Macintosh is installed)
BJ Language Monitor
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
Windows NT Fax Monitor
LPR Port

NOTE: Do not remove LPR Port Monitor unless advised by a Microsoft Support Professional.

You may need to reapply the last service pack.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.