Error message -- "property value is too large"

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Database Table Design' started by Guest, Jul 23, 2004.

    I'm putting a survey into Access and after my last round of updates to a table, when I try to save it I get an error message saying "property value is too large". Does anyone know what this means, or how to get rid of it?

    Guest, Jul 23, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Sounds as if you are running into the issue noted in the following:

    ACC2000: Error Saving Table Error Message After Design Change (323657)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;323657

    I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
    respond back to this posting.

    Regards,

    Eric Butts
    Microsoft Access Support

    "Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
    you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
    Security Bulletin MS03-026
    <http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
    to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
    the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
    to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

    --------------------

    Eric Butts [MSFT], Jul 25, 2004

    Eric:
    I was assigned to create a db in access for different customers. We are to collect info from them for three consecutive months. At first, I decided that it would be easier if I had a table for each month just to keep things simple when trying to create a query based on this three months. I also have an additional table with the customer’s info and one field in this table is called Business Days. The primary key of the customer’s info table is called Customer’s Code, this is a value that I assign manually. When trying to create a query based on these four tables, I encountered a small problem when trying to divide by Business Days. To this, somebody pointed out that even though each Customer’s Code had only one specified number for Business Days, access didn’t quite understand this. He solved my problem by putting a “MAX†in front of Business Days.

    The next problem was encountered when trying to create a form out of the four tables and the query. I wanted to do this because the people that will be using the database will like to see all of this information at once. They actually have their info in Excel, but they are entering so much data in that they are worried that it will get corrupted, and decided that it was better to have the info in access. I tried to use the wizard at first, but a message shows up and it is practically letting me know that I cannot create a form based on those four tables and that query because the query is based on those tables. Don’t quite understand the reason for this.

    So then, I decided to have just two tables, one for the customer’s info and one for the three months. That is when the “property value message†started showing up. I read the advice you age this other girl and it really helped me, so that is why I’m writing you. The new table I was trying to create was going to have 196 fields with extra large names, but after the problem I encountered, and after reading the info in your link, I decided to follow resolution method # 2. Therefore, at this point I’m back to my four tables. So now my problem is basically the form I have to create. I’m starting to wonder if it would be better to keep this info in excel basically because of presentation issues. Or would it be better to have a combination of both? At this point, I believe that they would prefer everything in access. So if you have access suggestions before offering a combination of both, it would be awesome. I also believe that it is important to know that I’m not an access master.

    Thanks very much for your time and sorry for such a long reply.

    Guest, Jul 30, 2004
  4. Wow... that's a lot of information!!

    I'll try my best to give you the best advice.

    "...We are to collect info from them for three consecutive months. At
    first, I decided that it would be easier if I had a table for each month
    just to keep things simple when trying to create a query based on this
    three months..."

    - Normalize your data by creating ONE table that has a field for the month,
    example

    RecordID TransAmt CustomerID fldMONTH

    This way you can create your query displaying your data for the particular
    months of interest.

    I hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Eric Butts
    Microsoft Access Support

    "Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
    you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
    Security Bulletin MS03-026
    <http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
    to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
    the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
    to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?dGl6?= <>
    | Subject: RE: Error message -- "property value is too large"
    | Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:29:01 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.tablesdbdesign
    |
    | Eric:
    | I was assigned to create a db in access for different customers. We are
    to collect info from them for three consecutive months. At first, I decided
    that it would be easier if I had a table for each month just to keep things
    simple when trying to create a query based on this three months. I also
    have an additional table with the customer’s info and one field in this
    table is called Business Days. The primary key of the customer’s info
    table is called Customer’s Code, this is a value that I assign manually.
    When trying to create a query based on these four tables, I encountered a
    small problem when trying to divide by Business Days. To this, somebody
    pointed out that even though each Customer’s Code had only one specified
    number for Business Days, access didn’t quite understand this. He solved
    my problem by putting a “MAX†in front of Business Days.

    | The next problem was encountered when trying to create a form out of the
    four tables and the query. I wanted to do this because the people that will
    be using the database will like to see all of this information at once.
    They actually have their info in Excel, but they are entering so much data
    in that they are worried that it will get corrupted, and decided that it
    was better to have the info in access. I tried to use the wizard at first,
    but a message shows up and it is practically letting me know that I cannot
    create a form based on those four tables and that query because the query
    is based on those tables. Don’t quite understand the reason for this.

    | So then, I decided to have just two tables, one for the customer’s info
    and one for the three months. That is when the “property value messageâ€

    Eric Butts [MSFT], Aug 1, 2004

    Eric:
    I don't know if you read all of my long and boring e-mail before, so I'll try to keep it short this time. I already tried to put the three tables that I had (each one for each month) together. The problem is that I was going to end up with 196 fields, which was never possible because the error "property value is too large" started showing up. I read in a link that you posted that I would be better off having separate tables with a one-to-one relationship. Following that advice, I created a query based on these tables. My problem now is that I'm trying to create a form based on these tables and this query but a message comes up saying that I will not be able to do so because the query is based on those tables. I need to be able to display all of this info at once. A report is not good enough because the users need to be able to modify the tables within the form. Any suggestions?

    Thanks again,

    Guest, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Hi,

    I would revisit your database design. To have 196 fields really shows your
    database application is not normalized. Give me an idea as to why you need
    196 fields.

    I hope is not something like:
    1/1/96 1/2/96 1/3/96 1/4/96 and so on....

> [...]

    the
    | > problem I encountered, and after reading the info in your link, I
    decided
    | > to follow resolution method # 2. Therefore, at this point I’m
    back to my
    | > four tables. So now my problem is basically the form I have to create.
    | > I’m starting to wonder if it would be better to keep this info
    in excel
    | > basically because of presentation issues. Or would it be better to have
    | > combination of both? At this point, I believe that they would prefer
    | > everything in access. So if you have access suggestions before offering
    | > combination of both, it would be awesome. I also believe that it is
    | > important to know that I’m not an access master.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks very much for your time and sorry for such a long reply.
    | > |

    | > please

    | > advises
    Microsoft