Error message "Cannot access a necessaary file ----"

G

I am running a rand new copy of XP Pro OEM edition very recently installled on a new hard drive. (Actually bsaically a new computer. New hard drive new power supply, new mother board, new graphics card and more.
Everything seems to be working OKso far. I do not seem to have had any trouble installing applications
However when I run Norton WinDoctor I get the following error message

Missing File "C:\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE" cannot access a necessary file, "gapi32.dll

I have used windows explorer and found the following files to be pressent
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MAPISRVR (Explorer does not display the extension but does label it an "Application"
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\N

Norton is unable to correct this error

I wonder if anyone can tell me what is wrong? Also how much of a probelm is it? Also Should I be able to fix i

Also one other totally unrelated issue (Again apperently not a problem but strange). When I loaded XP Pro I got a message saying that it must be activated within 30 days. This message was repeated several times as I went through various installation proceedures (XP and also applications) Then suddenly I got a different message indicating that XP must be activated before I could proceed. THIS WAS WITHIN 24 HOURS of me first loading XP. I activated online, following the prompts, without any problems. Why did I not get the 30 days? Luckily when this happened I had already installed every thing necessary to go on line. What would have happened if I had not been able to get on line when this message occured
Thank you in advance for any help any one can give
FrankC

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Well, is your computer running fine? There are minor quirks with
Norton's WinDoctor program reporting missing files that are actually
installed correctly. I would ignore the WinDoctor report.

Here is an example:

Error Message: <Systemroot>\System32\Mapisrvr.exe Cannot
Access a Necessary File, "Gapi32.dll"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320550

WinDoctor cannot fix the error "'C:\WINNT\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE'
cannot access a necessary file 'Gapi32.dll'"
http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPOR...7607b31f7355c0e2882569c4004da492?OpenDocument

The gapi32.dll file can be found on your Microsoft Office
installation CD.

Product Activation Issue: If you were adjusting your computer clocks time,
and inadvertently set it to a time and date before XP was installed, that could
trigger the immediate activation request.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---

| I am running a rand new copy of XP Pro OEM edition very recently installled on a new hard drive. (Actually
bsaically a new computer. New hard drive new power supply, new mother board, new graphics card and more.)
| Everything seems to be working OKso far. I do not seem to have had any trouble installing applications.
| However when I run Norton WinDoctor I get the following error message.
|
| Missing File "C:\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE"
| "C:\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE" cannot access a necessary file, "gapi32.dll.
|
| I have used windows explorer and found the following files to be pressent.
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\MAPISRVR (Explorer does not display the extension but does label it an "Application")
| C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT
|
| Norton is unable to correct this error.
|
| I wonder if anyone can tell me what is wrong? Also how much of a probelm is it? Also Should I be able to
fix it
|
|
| Also one other totally unrelated issue (Again apperently not a problem but strange). When I loaded XP Pro I
got a message saying that it must be activated within 30 days. This message was repeated several times as I
went through various installation proceedures (XP and also applications) Then suddenly I got a different
message indicating that XP must be activated before I could proceed. THIS WAS WITHIN 24 HOURS of me first
loading XP. I activated online, following the prompts, without any problems. Why did I not get the 30 days?
Luckily when this happened I had already installed every thing necessary to go on line. What would have
happened if I had not been able to get on line when this message occured.
| Thank you in advance for any help any one can give.
| FrankCJ

Ask a Question