    still there. I'm just wondering anyone can help.

    Thanks,
    Dom

    Guest, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Which Events do you see in the EventLog on the Terminal Server?

    Note: I hope that you didn't follow the instructions about
    hardcoding the name of the Licensing Server into the registry of
    the Terminal Server.
    The instructions on the page that you found are specific for
    Windows 2003.
    W2K uses a slightly different method:

    239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
    License Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" <> wrote on 17 jan
    2005 in microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients:

    3
    > /standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?

    url=/resources/documentation

    Vera Noest [MVP], Jan 17, 2005

    Hi Vera,

    Thanks for your response on this. The event ID is 1004 which means the
    server failed to contact the license server to renew a license. However, the
    event was generated only when a client failed to connect (the one got the
    below error). If a client was successfully connected, this event won't be
    generated.

    I didn't hardcode the "DefaultLicenseServer" and there is no such key in the
    registry. Would it be better to specify one? I also found that the key
    "UseLicenseServer" set to '0' that means not being used. But, we definitely
    installed a certificate for the server itself. This server is part of a
    domain and we don't have a license server on any Domain Controller. The
    person who set this up no longer with our company and I'm not sure how he
    installed the licenses.

    Any suggestion will be highly regarded.

    Thanks,
    Dom

    Guest, Jan 17, 2005
  4. No, you should not have to hardcode the DefaultLicenseServer, I
    only mentioned this because it is part of the troubleshooting tips
    that you said you followed, and those are for 2003.

    But you have me very confused now, by writing:
    > "we don't have a license server on any Domain Controller"

    If so, that's your problem. You must install and activate a TS
    Licensing Server, and it must run on one of your Domain
    Controllers. As soon as it is activated, it will issue free TS
    CALs to your W2K Pro and XP Pro clients, from the built-in pool of
    licenses from the Licensing Server. All other clients need a
    purchased TS CAL.

    Windows 2000 Terminal Services Licensing FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/tsfaq
    ..asp

    Vera Noest [MVP], Jan 18, 2005

    Thanks Vera. I thought so too. I guess when the guy set up the machine with
    W2k server. He activated terminal service licenses on the server before
    joining onto our domain (when it was in workgroup). But, the weird thing is
    that it has been working for a year and a half like this.
    The other question will be: If I set up a new Windows 2003 server with
    terminal service licensing turned on and have my existing W2K TS server
    hardcode to this w2k3 server for license, will this work?

    Thanks,
    Dom

    Guest, Jan 19, 2005
  6. Yes, that should work without any problems.
    A 2003 TS Licensing Server can handle both W2K and 2003 TS CALs.

    In case you haven't seen the W2K version:

    239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
    License Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "=?Utf-8?B?REg=?=" <> wrote on 19 jan

    Vera Noest [MVP], Jan 19, 2005

    Thanks for your advice, Vera!

    Guest, Jan 19, 2005

    anilthejus

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    "The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing p

    "The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol , please assist me on the above error tried RDP from XP. 2003 machine but not able to connect the server is 2000 sp4

    anilthejus, Apr 23, 2010

    anilthejus

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Licencing Protocol Error

    "The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol error , The server is 2000 Sp4 , can someone assit me please

    Thanks Anil

    anilthejus, Apr 23, 2010