Error for iTunes

Taimur

When I install iTunes 7.5. I get error code 0x800736B3. I think I might have
deleted a file by accident. Anyone knows how to fix this.

zachd [MSFT]

I don't know anything about the iTunes installer.

Error 0x800736b3 is "Error: The referenced side by side assembly is not
installed." They may rely upon the .NET Framework, so you may want to go to
Windows Update and make sure you have the latest .NET Frameworks installed.

iTunes/Apple should know a lot more about their prerequisites. =)

uvbogden

Before you can properly install the latest version of iTunes, you must
thoroughly remove all parts of the previous versions on your system. Vista
uninstaller doesn't do this very well, and leaves broken install and
incomplete uninstall debris on your system that blocks proper install
processes. You can remove this debris manually with the help of Windows
Installer Cleanup Utility, or better yet, use Smarty Uninstaller to search
out and remove these blocking remnants so you can do your clean install.
Details in this tutorial.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/87249-unable-install-latest-version-program-vista.html

zachd [MSFT]

I'm not sure why you responded with that to what strongly appears to be
simply the latest (?) .NET Framework not being installed? I found the
advice on your page to be extremely dangerous, and I would not recommend
following that advice. Deleting files and registry keys by hand is
*generally* a very bad plan. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.

uvbogden

Broken install and incomplete uninstall debris elicits any number of error
messages which may not reveal the actual cause of the dysfunction.
"Generally" speaking, your recommendation not to touch the registry is a good
idea, and I wish it wasn't sometimes necessary. If MSFT had designed a more
robust installer/uninstaller (or for that matter a more robust OS) that
actually did its job, we wouldn't be forced to correct these problems
ourselves by entering "dangerous" registry territory. For most of us (in the
Communities), the alternative to seeking for and applying fixes for Vista is
to be resigned to a broken computer. This is unacceptable.

Ideally, MSFT would provide real Support for their product during its
lifetime. In reality this is not the case. MSFT technical support of Vista
is a virtual black hole that swallows up the universe and everything
disappears (including your money) without a trace. The Help & Support that
comes with Vista, or that available online is superficial and rarely covers
any of the serious issues encountered. Searches of the Knowledge Base are
rarely fruitful. There may be some helpful information there (mostly for
XP), but finding what you need for Vista is next to impossible. MSFT could
learn a lot from Google there.

After you’re done with the superficial Help & Support and online support,
MSFT passes the buck to the Vista Communities Discussion Groups and refuses
to take responsibility for their brainchild. And when there’s a Windows
Update that screws up your computer and everyone’s screaming in capital
letters for help, MSFT is mute. Of course, you can always pay the big bucks
and get help with a single problem very readily. However, after already
paying the big bucks to buy Vista, few are willing to shell out more for
support that should be there, at no cost, just because you bought the product.

zachd [MSFT]

uvbogden said:
Broken install and incomplete uninstall debris elicits any number of error
messages which may not reveal the actual cause of the dysfunction.

Possibly. But possibly I can teach my cat to tap dance. We're quickly
wandering into speculation and taking drastic actions against that
speculation based upon what is apparently a missing .NET framework element.
I think your "cure" here is probably going to be worse than the problem is.
Just step back and let iTunes support sort this out. =)
If MSFT had designed a more
robust installer/uninstaller (or for that matter a more robust OS) that
actually did its job, we wouldn't be forced to correct these problems
ourselves by entering "dangerous" registry territory.

Windows Installer (MSI) is generally and specifically meant to fill this
role.
For most of us (in the
Communities), the alternative to seeking for and applying fixes for Vista
is
to be resigned to a broken computer. This is unacceptable.

I thought we talking specifically about an iTunes failure here? Having
personally worked with the developers at Apple, I can't imagine that they're
too dense to sort this out if given the chance.
Ideally, MSFT would provide real Support for their product during its
lifetime.

This, as per thread title, is apparently a problem with iTunes, right? I'm
certain we could have an engaging discussion about supporting ultrawide
distribution operating systems running on ultrawide varieties of hardware
with ultrawide varieties of software installed to the system. =)
In reality this is not the case. MSFT technical support of Vista
is a virtual black hole that swallows up the universe and everything
disappears (including your money) without a trace. The Help & Support
that
comes with Vista, or that available online is superficial and rarely
covers
any of the serious issues encountered.

I don't know of any serious common issues that are omitted from important
references. Exact references are always useful, but that seems a
conversation outside the bounds of this iTunes focused conversation. =)
Searches of the Knowledge Base are
rarely fruitful. There may be some helpful information there (mostly for
XP), but finding what you need for Vista is next to impossible.

The KB is indeed built up over time, just as it was done for XP. Exact and
specific feedback is important to that.
And when there's a Windows
Update that screws up your computer and everyone's screaming in capital
letters for help, MSFT is mute.

Where are they "screaming"? Actual technical support--
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#psssupport
should be helpful. The newsgroups, as is explicitly mentioned in the
Newsgroups Code of Conduct, are not a Microsoft support channel--
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#netiquette
and expecting them to be such is dangerously misguided.

I want things to work for you. If you have actual problems, please take
them to the right place.
Of course, you can always pay the big bucks
and get help with a single problem very readily. However, after already
paying the big bucks to buy Vista, few are willing to shell out more for
support that should be there, at no cost, just because you bought the
product.

I was under the impression that you got "N" number of support incidents with
your purchase?

-Zach

uvbogden

My belief is that there is no missing .NET component and that reinstalling it
will not solve the iTunes install problem. This belief can be confirmed by
trying your recommended fix; if that works, more power to you. I don't
believe you can teach your cat to tap dance. Third-party software companies
are, in fact, recommending taking additional steps beyond Vista Uninstall to
clean up program remnants allowing for a proper install (see links below).

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

zachd [MSFT]

My cat's awesome. You'd be surprised.

The original error 0x800736b3 is "Error: The referenced side by side
assembly is not
installed." Since that's from the SXS error set, I'm queasily standing
behind the notion that this is a .NET Framework related issue.

Hopefully Apple fixes up their uninstaller for v.next. =)

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Apple seems to be purposely developing iTunes badly so it installs and
uninstalls sloppy on Windows to make a point in their favor.