Outlook Error downloading outlook backup.pst

ngz

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I created a backup.pst of microsoft outlook 2000 and want to download it onto outlook express (2004 I believe). I have copied the file to the computers C: hard drive and tried to import it from there onto outlook express, and when that didn't work I tried to import it onto microsoft outlook - which also did not work. A window error appeared reading "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" and when I closed the error window another one appeared reading "The File C:/outlook backup.pst is not compatible with this version of the Personal Folders information service. Contact your administrator." PLEASE HELP ME! I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and to help me, thank you very much!

Reaction score
Hi, Welcome to the Forum,

As far as I can remember Outlook Express uses OST's and not PST's, so that's probably why your getting a compatibility error message.

See if anybody else replies, or tryy and Google it :p

:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, Outlook express can't open PST's directly as far as I know. Do you have Outlook 2000 still installed? You should be able to do a sideways import if you do:

Import Messages from Other E-Mail Programs

Using the Outlook Express Import Wizard, you can easily import e-mail messages from a variety of popular Internet e-mail programs, such as Netscape Communicator and Eudora, as well as from Exchange Server and Outlook.

1.On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.

2.Select the e-mail program you want to import messages from, and then click Next.

3.Verify the location of your messages, and then click Next.

4.Choose All folders to import all the messages, and then click Next. You can also choose Selected Folders to import messages from one or more folders.

5.Click Finish.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/oe/importing.mspx

Reaction score
outlook express uses only ost not the pst ,

pst uses only ms outlook .

scan the all messages with the pst folder and than try to import the files.

open the file menu < select the messages file and select the location where you want to past it .

Ask a Question