Error attempting to schedule task.

Stewart

The following error is returned when I attempt to schedule
a task in "Scheduled Taskse or through other applications
such as McAfee:

"0x8007007a: The data passed to a system call is too
small".

I am using an administrator account for the login
credentials and a password exists. I have also reproduced
this after creating a new admin-level account with a
password. Finally, all service packs, etc. are current.

It seems to me it is an issue with the scheduler rather
than an issue with a specific account but I don't know
where to go from here. The only feedback I have received
from my "support provider" (Toshiba) is to reinstall XP
and this is obviously a blow-off response.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pauly [MSFT]

Hi Stewart.

Regarding your post on Task Scheduler errors associated with Scheduling a
Task for McAfee, this symptom can appear if Task Scheduler has hidden tasks
that were previously deleted but not removed from memory.

Solution
1. Remove all mcafee scheduled tasks
2. Opened Computer Management
3. Open Services
4. Stop the "Task Scheduler" service
5. Wait 10-15 secs
6. Start the "Task Scheduler" Service
7. Wait 10-15 mins

That should allow you to create / modify a task

MORE INFORMATION:

264522 Task Scheduler Returns a "HRESULT: 0x8007007A" Error Message After
You
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=264522

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE