From: Mail Delivery Subsystem [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@smtp-
2.sssnet.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 8:39 AM
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details

The original message was received at Thu, 30 Oct 2003
08:39:24 -0500
from root@localhost

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
errors -----
(e-mail address removed)
(reason: 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be
relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1))

.... while talking to sylvanus.nssi.telus.com.:<<< 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed
thru this MTA (#5.7.1)
550 5.1.1 (e-mail address removed)... User unknown

Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]

His ISP is not allowing him to "relay", or send messages from another mail
provider, through their servers -- a common spam-prevention method these
days. He may be able to get around this by turning on authentication to the
outgoing mail server. He can do this on the "Outgoing Server" tab for his
mail account.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

*** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered --
please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***

In
Michael said:
Hi,

I have a client who tried sending an e-mail a couple of
times to a given address. Both times the message came
back with an "Error 553), which I've never seen before.
Does anyone know what it means? Is there something my
client might be doing wrong to generate such an error?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. A copy of the error
message follows.

Thanks,

Michael

The original message was received at Thu, 30 Oct 2003
08:39:24 -0500
from root@localhost

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
errors -----
(e-mail address removed)
(reason: 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be
relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1))

.... while talking to sylvanus.nssi.telus.com.:<<< 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed
thru this MTA (#5.7.1)
550 5.1.1 (e-mail address removed)... User unknown

.
I am also receiving error message with emails that
previously I was able to send without any problems. Any
help you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]

Did you see my reply to the original poster? Your ISP may have just started
blocking the relaying of 3rd party mail through their servers -- perhaps
they weren't doing so before. In any event, you can possibly get around it
by turning on authentication to your 3rd party mail server, which you can do
on the "Outgoing Server" tab for that mail account.