Error 1706 when User tries to open Office applications

Shirley

II installed Office applications on my PC as Administrator
but I have a problem accessing them as a User. Every time
I open Word or Excel etc, I get the following
messages: "Please wait while Windows configures MS Office
SR-1 Professional." Then:
"Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product
Microsoft Office SR-1 Professional. The Windows installer
cannot continue."

If I press OK, the messages repeat. After pressing OK
three times altogether, the application loads and appears
normal. However, I don't have confidence that the
application will work properly so I am postponing
completion of several large and complex documents for my
Master's degree. So I need help.

Is it OK? Is it necessary to do anything?

As Administrator, the applications appear to be fully
installed. They open as normal.

I have Windows SP4 installed and SP3 for Office on my PC.
All my Microsoft programs are up-to-date.

Actions I have taken include:
1. Enabling my User to share every folder on my computer
(with the default Power User settings)
2. Adding my User to the Security settings for all drives
(this seems to adjust the settings for all folders in that
drive) even where AllUsers is checked.
3. Checking the DCOM settings (ref KB319624) - the DCOM
permissions were already OK; I then followed the remaining
steps in the KB article
4. Checking out KB324906 - Msisip.dll was already the
latest version. I didn't apply the hotfix because it
applies to SP3.
5. I read KB227181 but I don't understand what it is
saying so did nothing.
6. I read KB260310 but it is targeted at Servers. I
couldn't find the equivalent of the "Active Directory
Users and Computers snap-in" for a standalone PC.

I desperately need to have my Office applications
installed properly. I can't wait for a major loss or
corruption of files to find out they are not installed
properly.

I have also posted a copy of this message to the General
Newsgroup.

Thanking you in anticipation of your help.

Regards

Shirley

Shirley

Lanwench (in General newsgroup) gave me the solution to
this problem: Give the user admin rights then run each
Windows application once. Then take away admin rights and
login as user. Windows apps then work with no threatening
messages.
Shirley