    internet.

    --
    Lori

    Lori, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Lori

    ByTor Guest

    In article <>, lneal2
    @comporium.net says...

    > How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the internet?
    > The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected to the
    > internet.

    You don't have to connect to the internet to erase the disk......Find
    the manuf name of your harddrive go their site & seek out their utility
    tool to wipe the drive to zeros.

    ByTor, Jun 17, 2007

  3. Lori

    Unknown Guest

    Click on drive and format it.

    Unknown, Jun 17, 2007
  4. Lori wrote:
    > How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the
    > internet?

    What does connecting to the Internet have to do with erasing the hard disk
    drive of a computer?
    (The Internet does not a computer make...)

    > The computer I would like to do this to is no longer
    > connected to the internet.

    Boot with your Windows XP CD, pretend you are going to install the OS up
    until it asks you where you would like to install Windows Xp and choose to
    DELETE the partition(s) fromthere... The reboot and remove the CD. In
    effect - everything is gone (although a technically savvy user could easily
    get that back.)

    Better way - use some bootable utility diskette/cd you make on any system to
    zero-write several times (14+ would be pretty dang secure) to the hard disk
    drive. Each hard disk drive manufacturer has one of these utilities readily
    available on their sites (usually a part of their diagnostic utilities) and
    there are freeware drive wipers out there (google.)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Jun 17, 2007
  5. On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:55:11 -0400, "Lori " <>
    wrote:

    >How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the internet?
    >The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected to the
    >internet.

    The Internet isn't involved at all. If you want software from the
    Internet, download it on another computer and bring it to this one on
    a diskette or CD.

    Here's my standard post on deleting the contents of the drive:

    There are available a number of software products that can overwrite
    the data multiple times.This makes the data *much* harder to recover.
    But it's not impossible. There are companies that specialize in
    sophisticated and expensive data recovery techniques that can often
    retrieve overwritten data, even data overwritten multiple times. This
    is why the US government destroys drives containing really sensitive
    data in a furnace.

    For most of us, simply deleting the files, or formatting the drive, is
    good enough. If you want to be more paranoid, use one of the
    overwriting programs I mentioned above. But realize that, short of
    physical destruction, there's no such thing as permanent, perfect
    erasure.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Jun 17, 2007
  6. Lori wrote:
    > How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the
    > internet? The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected
    > to the internet.

    The same way you'd do if it were connected to the Internet. (In otehr
    words, Internet connectivity isn't relevant to the process)

    To protect your personal information and data from any future users
    of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive.
    You can do this using the original Installation CD. Simply boot from
    the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the opportunity to delete,
    create, and format partitions as part of the installation process. (You
    may need to re-arrange the order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to
    boot from the CD.)

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
    data, WipeDrive
    (http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php) meets U.S.
    DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives,
    and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
    applications.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 17, 2007
  7. Lori

    JS Guest

    Try this utility (Eraser):
    Download and then burn it to a CD and then install on the PC you want to
    erase files on. Use it to erase as much personal data as you can. Next use
    your Windows XP CD to delete any and all partitions, create one small
    partition (10GB) and format to re-install Windows (for this purpose no need
    to activate/re-register the product), create a second partition using the
    remaining space available on the drive.

    How to do a Clean Install of Windows XP
    From Michael Steven's: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

    After re-installing Windows, install Eraser again and use it to wipe all the
    free space on the Windows partition and all of the free (un-used) space on
    the second partition. Finally once again use the Windows install CD to
    delete both partitions.

    Note: The more sensitive the data on your PC the more important the above
    steps become. As mentioned before only total destruction of the hard drive
    is a absolute method.

    JS

    JS, Jun 17, 2007
  8. Lori

    z1z1z1 Guest

    "JS" <@> wrote in news::

    > Try this utility (Eraser):
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=37015
    > Download and then burn it to a CD and then install on the PC you want
    > to erase files on. Use it to erase as much personal data as you can.
    > Next use your Windows XP CD to delete any and all partitions, create
    > one small partition (10GB) and format to re-install Windows (for this
    > purpose no need to activate/re-register the product), create a second
    > partition using the remaining space available on the drive.
    >
    > How to do a Clean Install of Windows XP
    > From Michael Steven's:
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > After re-installing Windows, install Eraser again and use it to wipe
    > all the free space on the Windows partition and all of the free
    > (un-used) space on the second partition. Finally once again use the
    > Windows install CD to delete both partitions.
    >
    > Note: The more sensitive the data on your PC the more important the
    > above steps become. As mentioned before only total destruction of the
    > hard drive is a absolute method.
    >
    > JS
    >
    > "Lori " <> wrote in message
    >> How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the
    >> internet? The computer I would like to do this to is no longer
    >> connected to the internet.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lori

    You can create an Eraser boot disk (floppy/CD?) for wiping entire drives,
    which can then be used on the other computer - no need for another
    Windows reinstall.
    You can download a utility from most hard drive manufacturer's web sites
    that can do this (often it is part of a hard drive testing utility).
    Most of these consist of a program that you download that then creates a
    boot floppy. Inside the test program, this is sometimes called a low
    level format (but really isn't), or writing zeroes to the drive. Often
    these programs will only work on that manufacturer's drives - note that
    some, like Seagate/Maxtor/Quantum are all owned by one company, and the
    same program will work on all of these (look for the PowerMax program).
    You could also download the Ultimate Boot CD, which includes things like
    drive wiping utilities, and many of the above HD test programs.

    z1z1z1, Jun 18, 2007
  9. Lori

    Guest

    On Jun 18, 12:55 am, "Lori " <> wrote:
    > How do I erase my harddrive manually without having access to the internet?
    > The computer I would like to do this to is no longer connected to the
    > internet.
    >
    > --
    > Lori

    You don't require internet for erasing the content of the hard dive.
    All you have to do is to get the Stellar Wipe - Safe file Eraser.
    Stellar Wipe erases selected files and folders, wipes entire
    drive, cleans unused space on your hard disk and also removes
    Internet activities (History, Cookies, Favorites, Temporary Internet
    Files etc), System traces and Application traces (MS applications,
    Email & News, Chat messengers, NetMeeting etc) from your computer.
    Download the software from: http://www.stellarinfo.com/file-eraser.htm

    , Jun 18, 2007