EntryWrittenEventHandler Failure in Managed C++

G

I posted this before...perhaps it is a new 'fug' (fug = feature+bug) of .Net? Perhaps nobody knows (not suprising) about how Windows works? I've duplicated this issue on NT4/SP6+.Net-1.1, W2K Server+SP4+NET-1.1 and WXP Pro+SP1. I'd like to get this resolved (I have a bet that nobody knows). TI

I setup this code to Monitor my Application Log and send to a *NIX syslog server. I add a handler for it like so..

l->EntryWritten += new EntryWrittenEventHandler(this, LogMonitor::OnEntryWritten)
l->EnableRaisingEvents = true

And I have the handler (simple for this post
void OnEntryWritten(Object* source, EntryWrittenEventArgs* e)

Console::WriteLine(String::Concat(S"Written: ", e->Entry->Message))

But when log data is written to Application log (5 messages in 5 seconds) I only get notification about 2, or fewer. Is there a known issue where the Events for the EventLog are not properly raised? How would one succussfully monitor the logs? Write my own Polling mechansim

/djb

G

Looks like it's happened again. Nobody knows. I found a KB article that states there was an issue with EventViewer listeners in NT4, looks like the bug is still present in newer systems too. For some reason the lazy, fat and stupid programmers at Microsoft cannot figure out what is wrong with there own system. Ha! Isn't there some MVP (Microsoft Virtual Punk) who can answer this? What's that? You can't figure it out? You can't debug your own defective product? I'm on my own for this, Microsoft has failed me again. Too bad I can't get any money refunded (like last time). I guess my employees who are responsible for reading logs will have to just point and click their way through the EventViewer instead of using some half-intelligent BASH script to parse a central log server. And why should stupid f---ing MS care? Why make the comptuer easy to use? "User Friendly" is just a label on the box. Work harder not smarter.

G

Obviously you're new to this game.
- The 'new' developers think that someone cares about these products, and after a fashion they do, but
- The 'good' experienced developers who could fix it don't work for software houses. They work for themselves, or for others who know how good they are, and keep them busy & pay them lots of money. They could help you, would like to help you, but don't have the time
- The 'bad' experienced developers (who couldn't fix it) work at making OTHER people rich. There's no money to made in FIXING shrink-wrap software, so they just write MORE shrinkwrap software to market. So, they may like to help you, but either a) they don't have the skills, or b) they 're too busy writing more products to make someone else rich

Perhaps consider changing from this MS game to another (less glitzy) one, like, say, Linux. You'll get help there; hey, make a little noise, and they'll give you the source code and let you fix it for them

Some people say that after 30 years in this game, I'm getting cynical, but what would I know. Bill Gates is younger than me, and a bit wealthier

G

I am new to the MS game, I primarily use BSD and Linux. They have compatible system logging (as I'm sure you know). What I was trying to do was to make Windows log to a central server. The MS design of Event log is so stupid to have to visit (or remote shell) a system to view the logs. WTF. Well anyways...since MS won't support (I'll go protest on campus someday ;) ) I guess I'll be left to my own. This MS community certianly is a void compared to my open source buddies. Hate your platform more now...lamers.