Entry Level System

Reaction score
I am planning to build an entry level system for my niece (not for gaming). I came across the following specs on a website(http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3148&p=3).

ProcessorIntel - Pentium Dual-Core E2140(1.6GHz 65W 1MB L2)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-73UM-S2HNVIDIA GeForce 7150 HDMI mATX
Memory - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400
Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint P Series SP2504C250GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0GB/s

I'd appreciate any input. I'm open to all suggestions just that this is meant to be a PC for a grad student who isnt into gaming. I picked the Intel option just because I've had Intel systems but I've nothing against AMD.

The mobo in question doesnt seem to be readily available in UK - I only found it in micro-direct (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?source=NexTag&ProductID=26677).

I havent dealt with micro direct before so it would be nice to know if they are ok. Look, I'm not trying to wind anyone up over the holiday season, so in case no one has anything nice to say about MD then just dont mention anything.
icon7.gif

Thanks
Klaus

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How much do you have to spend on a system, as we might be able to recommend something better than that for the money :thumb:

MicroDirect have a mixed rating on here, with some users having problems with returns if I remember correctly. A search on the sidebar should present a few posts. I've used them myself a few times as they are only a few miles from me - and for collection they've always been fine in my experience. Some other places stocking it are listed here, but I would have thought there is better value out there.

Are you after a cheap motherboard with onboard graphics - if so there are plenty of other options
nod.gif

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
How much do you have to spend on a system, as we might be able to recommend something better than that for the money :thumb:

I'm hoping to buy motherboard, graphics, cpu, RAM, and hard drive for about 200£

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Assuming you only want the components you've mentioned and don't need a case, PSU and all the other bits, sticking within your budget this is what I'd go for:

attachment.php

Attachments

• entrylevel2.jpg
    entrylevel2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Assuming you only want the components you've mentioned and don't need a case, PSU and all the other bits, sticking within your budget this is what I'd go for:

This looks really good, Thanks!

I've got a case (Akasa Zen01) and DVD writer but it seems I dont have a PSU after all (got a PSU off a mate last night and it didnt work). So I'm gonna buy a PSU - any recommendations for about 50£ (or less
icon7.gif
)??

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Personally I think Aria are cheaper overall as opposed to Overclockers . E-buyer are copetetive as are a number of other retailers . Its really down to what deals they are offering and if they have what you want . A letter to Father Christmas may be a good idea .

:D

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Personally I think Aria are cheaper overall as opposed to Overclockers . E-buyer are copetetive as are a number of other retailers . Its really down to what deals they are offering and if they have what you want .

A letter to Father Christmas may be a good idea .

:D

Will get on it right away...am way behind the eight ball on this one!

Regarding Father Christmas here's goes...

Dad said to his son 'Son, I think its time we had a chat about the birds and the bees'. The son promptly burst into tears and says 'Dad, when I was 5 you told me there were no tooth fairies, when I was 7 you told me there was no father christmas, now if you tell me there is no ***, I'll have nothing to live for':lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The parts I listed are from Overclockers UK who I've used regularly for five years or so and have never had a problem with, including three rma's (faulty items replaced/exchanged/refunded).

They also stock a good selection of parts.

Personally speaking, I find Aria to be a bit cheap and nasty, kinda like the Primark of e-tailers :D And I've read of many people having problems with Aria, there's one going on now on this very forum.

There again, peeps have had problems with OCUK and I'm not blindly recommending them, just stating my own experience.

If you really want to deal with an online retailer you can trust, go to Kustom PC's a great bunch of lads. But they are a little more expensive than most.

You pays yer money.....

Right at this moment, actually, I'm having problems with Scan, they want me to wait three weeks (until after Christmas) to deal with an RMA, but that's another story.

Reaction score
Job done! In order to keep within my budget I changed the motherboard to GA-MA69G-S3H. Used the integrated graphics and if required I'll put in a card in a few months. My niece seems quite pleased with it for now. Its got firewire in case she does decide to buy a camcorder that she talks about every once in a while (in which case a graphics card will likely be necessary to free up the cpu/ram). Its got XP and PC Linux OS.

This was my first build and, frankly, I'm a bit surprised that I didnt have any problems in putting it together. Heck, I had more problems installing PC Linux OS on my computer. Thanks for all your help!

Ask a Question