Enter stops working

G

I have an HP Pavilion 7955 with Windows XP. It's about 2 years old. About a week ago, the enter key stopped working. I have tried another keyboard but it didn't help. It is a strange thing. I can turn the computer off and reboot and the enter key will workfor a time. Once the enter key stopps working , I can do the Window's + L to log off and the enter key works when I type my password in and the enter key works for the password entry but not when an application is opened. I opened Word and left it up all day and the enter worked fine but when I logged on the the internet, the enter key stopped working shortly thereafter. With an internet window open and Word open too, the enter key will work for a little while but then stop, however, I can do cntrl + enter in Word and it will take me to do page down but not work as a return. All of my updates are current. I have removed and reinstalled the keyboard driver. Tried a different keyboard so I know it is a softward problem. Any suggestions from the experts would be much appreciated.

J

JR K Yoshikawa

Check with antivirus and anti spyware.
check event viewer. (Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer)
If you find error on event viewer post Event id , Source and descriptions.

Ask a Question