    find an answer. Any light on the subject would be warmly welcomed.

    --
    Anna

    Anna, Apr 25, 2010

  2. I have not heard of this particular problem before. If it was caused by
    Windows Update, we'd be seeing many more reports like yours.

    Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
    Windows Mail over time. Make sure your antivirus is not configured to
    scan emails. As a test, you should also temporarily disable any third
    party security software and downloaded toolbars, just to see if it makes
    a difference.

    What do you mean by "Live Mail", Windows Live Hotmail or Windows Live Mail?

    --
    Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

    Gary VanderMolen [MVP], Apr 26, 2010

  3. Anna

    Anna Guest

    On 26/04/2010 06:30, Gary VanderMolen [MVP] wrote:
    > I have not heard of this particular problem before. If it was caused by
    > Windows Update, we'd be seeing many more reports like yours.
    >
    > Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
    > Windows Mail over time. Make sure your antivirus is not configured to
    > scan emails. As a test, you should also temporarily disable any third
    > party security software and downloaded toolbars, just to see if it makes
    > a difference.
    >
    > What do you mean by "Live Mail", Windows Live Hotmail or Windows Live Mail?

    Thank you so much for responding. I'm sorry to have taken time to get
    back to you, but I needed to contact the people concerned, get them to
    disable email scanning and test the result for a few days. I'm sorry to
    say, it has made no difference to incoming/outgoing email being diverted
    to Drafts.

    To address your points:

    I appreciate that if a Windows Update were the cause, you would have
    seen more comments about it.

    The people concerned aren't all using the same antivirus program. Mostly
    AVG or Avast.

    None of them has any third-party browser toolbars. I know this because I
    look after their computers and make sure they don't!

    None of them has any further security software except Windows Defender
    installed by default.

    One has a computer barely one month old, which doesn't quite comply with
    problems between Windows Mail and antivirus arising 'over time'

    By "Live Mail" I meant Windows Live Mail configured to use an ISP POP3
    account.

    I do realise this is a very obscure and seemingly rare problem. In a lot
    of googling I've seen only a few references to it, and none of the
    technical groups to which I'm subscribed can come up with a solution,
    but it's a major headache! If I can't find any answer, I guess my best
    option is to switch those users over to another email program, such as
    the one I use which has never exhibited such strange behaviour.

    Anna, May 3, 2010
  4. Thanks for your very thorough responses.

    I assume you've looked for message rules that could divert incoming
    emails to other folders. One thing you might try is to create a new
    folder called Incoming, then create a message rule that diverts all
    incoming messages to the new Incoming folder.

    I'm not at all certain that an antivirus program could cause this
    peculiar problem, but I've run out of ideas as to what else might cause it.
    I do know that antivirus email scanning can cause some bizarre problems.
    Both Avast and AVG by default install mail scanning modules. Although
    those can ostensibly be turned off, the bad side effects can continue.
    A solution that is effective is to uninstall the antivirus, reboot, then reinstall,
    but select 'custom' install, which then allows you to unselect installing the
    troublesome mail scanning module. Another option is to switch to a free
    antivirus that is 100% compatible:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    Gary VanderMolen [MVP], May 3, 2010
  5. Anna

    Anna Guest

    On 03/05/2010 19:17, Gary VanderMolen [MVP] wrote:
    > Thanks for your very thorough responses.
    >
    > I assume you've looked for message rules that could divert incoming
    > emails to other folders. One thing you might try is to create a new
    > folder called Incoming, then create a message rule that diverts all
    > incoming messages to the new Incoming folder.
    >
    > I'm not at all certain that an antivirus program could cause this
    > peculiar problem, but I've run out of ideas as to what else might cause it.
    > I do know that antivirus email scanning can cause some bizarre problems.
    > Both Avast and AVG by default install mail scanning modules. Although
    > those can ostensibly be turned off, the bad side effects can continue.
    > A solution that is effective is to uninstall the antivirus, reboot, then reinstall,
    > but select 'custom' install, which then allows you to unselect installing the
    > troublesome mail scanning module. Another option is to switch to a free
    > antivirus that is 100% compatible:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    Thank you again. Yes, about the first thing I looked at was message
    rules, there are none. Creating a new Incoming folder, with appropriate
    rule, might solve the problem of incoming mail being diverted to Drafts,
    but it wouldn't solve the problem of outgoing mail being saved to Drafts
    rather than the Sent folder.

    > I'm not at all certain that an antivirus program could cause this
    > peculiar problem, but I've run out of ideas as to what else might cause it.

    What refreshing honesty!

    I will pursue your other suggestions, and I do appreciate your efforts,
    but it will take some time for me to do it and report back. Personally I
    think some gremlin has taken against me for my sinful ways and delivered
    me customers with a problem nobody else has!

    --
    Anna

    Anna, May 4, 2010
  6. You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting back.

    Gary VanderMolen [MVP], May 4, 2010
  7. "Anna" <> skrev i melding

    Kåre helland, May 8, 2010