Emailing over a network

I recently networked two PCs using a crossover cable successfully. The host
PC has Win XP Home while the client PC has Win XP Pro. They both can connect
to the internet successfuly (without using AOL software interface). My ISP is
AOL broadband 1MB. I can access my yahoo email account but cannot access
email accounts of AOL & netscape on the client PC as opposed to the host PC.
Whenever, i access the AOL & Netscape email accounts with the client PC, "the
page cannot be displayed...Cannot find server or DNS Error. Despite
relentless online reading, i still can't resolve this issue.The host PC can
access all three email accounts successfully. Why am able to access yahoo
email account, & i can't with the others using my client PC (dependent on the
host PC for net sharing)?

Rob Hoffman

Take a look at this article, it describe internet connection sharing. This
is what you will need to use to make both computers share the internet
connection.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310563

Best Regards,
Rob Hoffman, MCSE
Microsoft Enterprise Support Engineer

from your issue.

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UXVpZXQgU3Rvcm0=?=" <Quiet
(e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: Emailing over a network
| Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:49:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| I recently networked two PCs using a crossover cable successfully. The
host
| PC has Win XP Home while the client PC has Win XP Pro. They both can
connect
| to the internet successfuly (without using AOL software interface). My
ISP is
| AOL broadband 1MB. I can access my yahoo email account but cannot access
| email accounts of AOL & netscape on the client PC as opposed to the host
PC.
| Whenever, i access the AOL & Netscape email accounts with the client PC,
"the
| page cannot be displayed...Cannot find server or DNS Error. Despite
| relentless online reading, i still can't resolve this issue.The host PC
can
| access all three email accounts successfully. Why am able to access yahoo
| email account, & i can't with the others using my client PC (dependent on
the
| host PC for net sharing)?

Rob,
Thanks for your contribution, but didn't resolve my query. Both PCs can
access the internet. MY query is, the client computer wouldn't allow me to
access some of my email accounts esp my AOL & Netscape account; but would
allow me to access my yahoo account.

Chuck

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:49:02 -0700, "Quiet Storm" <Quiet
I recently networked two PCs using a crossover cable successfully. The host
PC has Win XP Home while the client PC has Win XP Pro. They both can connect
to the internet successfuly (without using AOL software interface). My ISP is
AOL broadband 1MB. I can access my yahoo email account but cannot access
email accounts of AOL & netscape on the client PC as opposed to the host PC.
Whenever, i access the AOL & Netscape email accounts with the client PC, "the
page cannot be displayed...Cannot find server or DNS Error. Despite
relentless online reading, i still can't resolve this issue.The host PC can
access all three email accounts successfully. Why am able to access yahoo
email account, & i can't with the others using my client PC (dependent on the
host PC for net sharing)?

Is your service using PPPoE by any chance?

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319661
http://adsl.cutw.net/mtu.html

Exactly what error do you see if you Ping the Server? Extract the server name
from each problematic URL, ping, and report here exactly what error is returned.

Cheers,
Chuck