From: Mcnamara (this is randomly generated it seems)
To: (e-mail address removed) (also apparantly random)
Subject: Online

Message body --

Hey, epjvwek

Attached file:

epjvwek.gif

Contents of this file appears to be drug advertisements... It's
harmless enough, so I've attached it in the prayer that someone will
recognize it and know what it is and how to get rid of it from my
system. NERVE WRACKING.

I should also mention that winlogon.exe is consuming very high cpu
resources, like 80-90%, and it shows up on TDIMon as the program doing
all the accessing of those IP addresses.

Thanks for any help!!!

Rick

"The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical
model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a
universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go
to all the bother of existing?"

- Stephen Hawking

---------------------------------------
Amateur Astronomy Page:
http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/nightrunner/skyview.html

Our Webcam:
http://web.infoave.net/~missy1/cam/webcam.html

David H. Lipman

From: "NightRunner" <[email protected]>

| Hey all,
|
| I got NAILED bigtime yesterday whilst carousing on a site I should
| have known better than to use MSIE on. I aquired MANY infections, but
| have I think all but one contained now... I just noticed today that a
| netstat -an command is showing a huge number of connections to various
| IP addresses. Soooo I got myself a packet sniffer, and found out that
| my machine is spamming like MAD through Outlook Express. I can't seem
| to find the causative program, and none of my various Spyware/Adware
| or AV programs are catching it, so this is where I REALLY need help.
| The basic content of each email follows:
|
| From: Mcnamara (this is randomly generated it seems)
| To: (e-mail address removed) (also apparantly random)
| Subject: Online
|
| Message body --
|
| Hey, epjvwek
|
| Attached file:
|
| epjvwek.gif
|
| Contents of this file appears to be drug advertisements... It's
| harmless enough, so I've attached it in the prayer that someone will
| recognize it and know what it is and how to get rid of it from my
| system. NERVE WRACKING.
|
| I should also mention that winlogon.exe is consuming very high cpu
| resources, like 80-90%, and it shows up on TDIMon as the program doing
| all the accessing of those IP addresses.
|
| Thanks for any help!!!
|
| Rick
|
| "The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical
| model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a
| universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go
| to all the bother of existing?"
|
| - Stephen Hawking
|
| ---------------------------------------
| Amateur Astronomy Page:
| http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/nightrunner/skyview.html
|
| Our Webcam:
| http://web.infoave.net/~missy1/cam/webcam.html

This is a text ONLY News Group !

Posting attachments is a violation of the alt.comp.anti-virus charter !
http://www.stormpages.com/eaegis/antivirus.htm

Specifically stated... "No attachments of any kind are permitted. "

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Max Wachtel

(e-mail address removed) AKA NightRunner on 1/7/2006 in
Hey all,

I got NAILED bigtime yesterday whilst carousing on a site I should
have known better than to use MSIE on. I aquired MANY infections, but
have I think all but one contained now... I just noticed today that a
netstat -an command is showing a huge number of connections to various
IP addresses. Soooo I got myself a packet sniffer, and found out that
my machine is spamming like MAD through Outlook Express. I can't seem
to find the causative program, and none of my various Spyware/Adware
or AV programs are catching it, so this is where I REALLY need help.
The basic content of each email follows:
snip <
From: "Sylvia M." <[email protected]>

| -----------
| running on your machine.
| -----------
| Is there a similar program in Windows 98?
| "Find" couldn't find it for me.
|
| Sylvia M

Actually the Task Manager only shows a portion.

On NT based OS and Win9x/ME use Process Explorer
to see all the running processes.
Thanks, Dave.
I went there and downloaded (also printed out
window), but I cant seem to 'open' a .zip

Sylvia M.
I know that I know not...

John Coutts

-----------
running on your machine.
-----------
Is there a similar program in Windows 98?
"Find" couldn't find it for me.

Sylvia M
************** REPLY SEPARATER ***************
Windows 9x does not operate the same way as NT based systems. NT runs various
services under the control of the kernel, and each running program can have one
or more processes attached to it as well, all running in it's own reserved
memory. There can be several of the same processes running at the same time.

Windows 9x shares processes between running programs. and that is why a reboot
is necessary when one of them hangs up. You cannot just end the problem one as
you can in NT. It is not as extensive, but there is something similar available
in Win 9x by using a single <Ctrl-Alt-Del>.

J.A. Coutts

Sylvia M.

"John Coutts" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
************** REPLY SEPARATER ***************
Windows 9x does not operate the same way as NT based systems. NT runs various
services under the control of the kernel, and
each running program can have one
or more processes attached to it as well, all running in it's own reserved
memory. There can be several of the same
processes running at the same time.
Windows 9x shares processes between running
programs. and that is why a reboot
is necessary when one of them hangs up. You
cannot just end the problem one as
you can in NT. It is not as extensive, but there is something similar available
in Win 9x by using a single <Ctrl-Alt-Del>.

J.A. Coutts
Yes, I have often used single <Ctrl-Alt-Del> in
order to close a frozen program.

Sylvia M

Sylvia M.

From: "Sylvia M." <[email protected]>

| Thanks, Dave.
| I went there and downloaded (also printed out
| window), but I cant seem to 'open' a .zip
|
| Sylvia M.
| I know that I know not...

http://www.winzip.com/
http://www.pkware.com/home_and_small_office/downlo
http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0018.18

Or one of the many other ZIP archival software packages.
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.htm
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Thanks again. That did it.
Now to learn to interpret and use ;-)

Sylvia M

Max Wachtel

(e-mail address removed) AKA NightRunner on 1/8/2006 in
snip <
I am willing to try any AV or adware/spyware killer program
snip <
Have you run David's AV tool yet? If so what were the results?
max