Windows 7 email "To" and "Subject" lines

Reaction score
I'm using Windows 7, Outlook 2003, and I.E.8 and Firefox
Clicking on any email link that auto inserts predefined "Subject" content opens a new blank email but instead of the subject being in the "Subject" line, it's inserted into the "To" line (as "?subject=blabla") right behind the recipient's address. Trying to send the email then results in a failure.
Using a computer with Windows XP and Outlook Express installed, the auto subject works properly. Don't know if its a Windows 7 problem or an Outlook problem.

I've posted the question in an other forums but have received no answers. I'm hoping for better luck here! Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try installing Outlook 2003 on the XP system and try it.
Although similar Outlook and Outlook Express are vastly different.
These differences mean that they handle auto inserts differently as well as macros and VBS.

You can't test Outlook Express on W7... it uses Windows Mail. (Also inserts differently)

Are these systems on a domain ? Roaming profiles ? Shared application data ?

Reaction score
Thanks Jaling

Outlook 2003 works fine on XP. Auto inserts are where they should be.

Something even more odd. While searching for a solution (with my current setup), I found myself on a web site which gave examples of how to write mailto syntax for various inserts. There was a link after each example that you could click to see the results. Every one I clicked on put everything grouped together on the "To" line. "Subject", "CC", etc....everything is on the same line.

Within Outlook I have it set as my default mail handler.
In Set Default programs, however, the mailto protocol is not present. Could that have something to do with this? I wouldn't think so as the mail links bring up a blank email.....it's just that all the inserts are merged.

These systems are not on a domain. No Roaming profiles No Shared application data

Reaction score
OK so we've ruled Outlook out as a problem.
What I think we're seeing is a compatibility issue between the way W7 and XP process code.
I'll have a quick skim when I get home.

Ask a Question