email notifiers

Paul

Has anyone else found that they cannot use any of the email notifiers. My
server requires authentication to get my email into Outlook Express using
port 995. I have tried and tried again with different programs but none of
them can connect to the server to check my emails. (And yes when I set the
notifiers up I use the auto setup details if there is that option - so it
seems my set ups are OK). I am leaving my OE running all the while just to
get the incoming emails as soon as possible , but would like the option of
deleting them before reaching OE. Any Help. TIA
Paul

Morten Skarstad

Paul skrev:
Has anyone else found that they cannot use any of the email notifiers. My
server requires authentication to get my email into Outlook Express using
port 995. I have tried and tried again with different programs but none of
them can connect to the server to check my emails. (And yes when I set the
notifiers up I use the auto setup details if there is that option - so it
seems my set ups are OK).

995 is usually used for POP3s, which means POP3 with added SSL
encryption. So your notifier must not only support changing the port, it
must actually support SSL encryption. It must probably also be _told_ to
use SSL encryption. So, does your notifier have an option for this? It
may also be called something like "secure connection".

POKO

Has anyone else found that they cannot use any of the email notifiers. My
server requires authentication to get my email into Outlook Express using
port 995. I have tried and tried again with different programs but none of
them can connect to the server to check my emails. (And yes when I set the
notifiers up I use the auto setup details if there is that option - so it
seems my set ups are OK). I am leaving my OE running all the while just to
get the incoming emails as soon as possible , but would like the option of
deleting them before reaching OE. Any Help. TIA
Paul
Paul - I've had no problems using MailWasher (off my freeware page).
Using Thunderbird as my mail client, but should work for OE. MailWasher
sits in your systray and I have it set to check every 4 minutes for mail
which also keeps your internet connection working. Has worked here
perfectly for eons,

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Has anyone else found that they cannot use any of the email notifiers. My
server requires authentication to get my email into Outlook Express using
port 995. I have tried and tried again with different programs but none of
them can connect to the server to check my emails. (And yes when I set the
notifiers up I use the auto setup details if there is that option - so it
seems my set ups are OK). I am leaving my OE running all the while just to
get the incoming emails as soon as possible , but would like the option of
deleting them before reaching OE. Any Help. TIA
Paul

You need a notifier that has IMAP/SSL support. Can't vouch for how
well it works, because I don't use it, but there is an IMAP plugin for
PopTray that claims to be able to do what you need.

http://www.poptray.org/

Paul

Ron May said:
You need a notifier that has IMAP/SSL support. Can't vouch for how
well it works, because I don't use it, but there is an IMAP plugin for
PopTray that claims to be able to do what you need.

http://www.poptray.org/

In short POPTRAY and the so-called plugins is a disaster
Paul

Paul

POKO said:
Paul - I've had no problems using MailWasher (off my freeware page).
Using Thunderbird as my mail client, but should work for OE. MailWasher
sits in your systray and I have it set to check every 4 minutes for mail
which also keeps your internet connection working. Has worked here
perfectly for eons,

Tried it a moment ago but the option to check for server requiring ssl was
grayed out.
Result: would not work just like all the rest of these programs.
Never mind, I can continue running OE all day....
Paul

jmatt

These should do it.

Check Mail
http://www.e-eeasy.com/CheckMail_POP.aspx
http://www.freewr.com/internet/mail-tools.php
Check Mail (POP) is a very lightweight and easy to use utility for
checking for new mail in a POP account. It is highly customisable
allowing you to be notified in a number of ways. Some of its main
features include.
Compatible with any account that can be accessed via POP
Don't like my icons? Use your own!
Play a custom new mail sound of your choice, either wav or mp3 format
Optional pop-up alert window with a time delay of your choice
SSL compatible so can be used to check on your new GMail account
Small program that uses relatively few resources (compared to a full
mail client)
The option to launch a webpage and/or an installed full mail client
Discreet (Tray icon) existence Win98/Me/2000/XP

eprompter
http://www.eprompter.com/
ePrompter automatically and simultaneously checks and retrieves your
email messages from up to sixteen password protected email accounts AND
lets you read, delete and respond to any of your messages with a simple
click on the account of your choice - without ever having to launch
your email program or go to your webmail's site. Importantly, when
ePrompter retrieves messages, it leaves the original messages on your
various email accounts' servers and/or webmail sites.
ePrompter works with AOL, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, POP3, Earthlink,
Excite, iName, Juno, Lycos, Mail.com, Mindspring, MSN, MyWay, Netscape,
OneBox, Rediffmail, SBC Yahoo, Switchboard, USA.net and hundreds of
other email domains.
ePrompter notifies you which accounts have new messages and how many
new messages you have in each account, once new messages have been
retrieved.
ePrompter lets you forward and reply back through the account that your
messages were retrieved from. You can also send original messages
through any account that you have working on your ePrompter without
ever having to launch your email program or go to your webmail's site.
It also features an address book.
ePrompter let's you delete unwanted spam or suspicious looking mail -
the kind that might contain viruses - again without having to launch
your email program or go to your webmail's site.
ePrompter notification features include a unique rotating tray icon,
the main ePrompter screen, audio alerts for new messages, and a choice
of five unique screensavers that let you know at a glance the number of
new messages in each account.
ePrompter is so easy to set up and use, you'll have it up and running
in minutes. One of our loyal ePrompter users, Sam McCord, put together
this demo that shows just how easy it is to set up and use ePrompter.
(This may take a minute or so to load).
The latest free download (SR85) was released on 12/16/05. This version
includes a fix for Gmail. It should be noted that Gmail has made some
changes to their non-English language support which requires the Gmail
"Display Language" to be set to "ENGLISH (US)". For more information on
how to make this
change, please see the following FAQ:
http://www.eprompter.com/faqs.htm#q2Gmail
If you are upgrading, be sure to completely exit ePrompter before
installing the new version. To get the latest download, simply click on
the CNET button below.
PLEASE NOTE that ePrompter employs auto-upgrades so that regardless of
the version of ePrompter you download from CNET, it will be
automatically updated to the most recent version of ePrompter. We
mention this, because CNET is currently offering version SR63 which was
released almost a year ago, but once downloaded, this version will
automatically be updated to the most recent version of ePrompter, which
is now version SR85.

Or, this email client. Its OK to have more than 1 email client
installed, just a matter of choosing the one you want to make default &
unticking in Options > Check for mail or something similar in the one
you are not using.

si.Mail
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=74&cat=003
http://simail.sourceforge.net/

jmatt

Ron May said.
"but it doesn't do POP SSL (yet) which is what the OP needs"

Thanks Ron, threw that one in, new version does a lot of extra stuff, I
thought it may have SSL built in.

Ron May

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Message-ID said:
Ron May said.
"but it doesn't do POP SSL (yet) which is what the OP needs"

You may be interested in this Ron.
SSL support
http://www.eprompter.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=307
http://www.eprompter.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=307&st=20
http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

Thanks for the info! I'd heard of stunnel before, but didn't consider
it because Gmail is the only account I have that uses SSL/TLS for
POP3/SMTP, and ePrompter went the webmail route to access Gmail.

Stunnel may be what the OP really needs in connection with ePrompter
or other email notifier.

jmatt

Ron May said.
"Stunnel may be what the OP really needs in connection with ePrompter
or other email notifier."
Both the other options I listed, have SSL built in.

antoine

Paul said:
Tried it a moment ago but the option to check for server requiring ssl was
grayed out.
Result: would not work just like all the rest of these programs.
Never mind, I can continue running OE all day....

Have you tried to configure Poptray as indicated here :
http://forum.poptray.org/viewtopic.php?t=2950&highlight=ssl

The ssl connections seem to be supported.

As somebody else stated for eprompter, I have been using poptray for
more than 2 years and would mostly recommend it.

Thorsten Duhn

Hello,
In short POPTRAY and the so-called plugins is a disaster

and what's the whole story? I use it, like it and see no better.
Okay, I don't use IMAP, but if that is the problem, you should
mention it in more detail.

Regards,
Thorsten

Paul

antoine said:
Have you tried to configure Poptray as indicated here :
http://forum.poptray.org/viewtopic.php?t=2950&highlight=ssl

The ssl connections seem to be supported.

As somebody else stated for eprompter, I have been using poptray for more
than 2 years and would mostly recommend it.

AAAH THIS time with your instructions here making things much clearer ( and
also discovering that on going through the option pages you have to click
save on EVERY page and not wait till all the option pages have been checked
before clicking the save options) it looks like it will work - it did when I
pressed the test button anyway.
Thanks for all your help and patience.
Paul

Taf®

Paul said:
Has anyone else found that they cannot use any of the email notifiers. My
server requires authentication to get my email into Outlook Express using
port 995. I have tried and tried again with different programs but none of
them can connect to the server to check my emails. (And yes when I set the
notifiers up I use the auto setup details if there is that option - so it
seems my set ups are OK). I am leaving my OE running all the while just to
get the incoming emails as soon as possible , but would like the option of
deleting them before reaching OE. Any Help. TIA
Paul

try PopPeeper, for my gmail account is working properly.
http://www.poppeeper.com/

not only checker.. with plugins it became also a mail sender!