Electric trailing socket query

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Don't know if any of you can help, but I am searching for a trailing socket, specifically:

13 AMP, individually switched, 6 gang, surge protected - with (most importantly) 10M of cable. Preferably wall-mountable. (Not keen on the free-standing "tower" type.) Similar to this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-SWSRG62-6-Gang-Protected-Extension/dp/B0083S17KS

The items it would be powering, are: a small LED TV; indoor-aerial amplifier; radio; DVD player; telephone-extension charger unit; CD player.

I have seen quite a few online, but mostly with very short cables.... or not switched, etc. So wondering if anyone here would know of a good source please?

Thanks for looking :D

Reaction score
Not sure you would get a row of 6 (what I call them) with 10mtres of cable unless you fit extra yourself..

Current usage for that lot is gonna be quite low. I'd also change the fuse to about 6amp, 10 at most

You could work out what you need current wish if you wanted I guess by looking at the :)

To make it easy here's a little calculator for you

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Watt_to_Amp_Calculator.htm

Oh you need single phase

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's quite a tall order: Surge protected; individually switchable; 10M lead.

I had a look here: http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+225094+2005&getResults=true

And here: http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/extension-leads?fh_view_size=150

But couldn't find anything to fit all criteria.

It may be worth considering a unit without surge protection and then using a surge protector where it plugs into the supply socket.

And if you can find anything to suit without the 10M lead I could buy it for you, fit the 10M mains lead and post it to you all I'd want would be the cost of the unit and the postage, I have plenty of suitable mains lead I could supply neo gratis.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies TXD and Flopps.

Sir Flopps, that is a very kind offer, which would be such an enormous help to us - if you really wouldn't mind? Will PM you, if that's ok. :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ok, I'm gonna step in here ... I can't remember what it is, but I do know there is a limit to the length of cable that can safely used in these "13amp" extensions ... would recommend doing a bit of digging on what should be safely used ... 2.5 twin-n-earth springs to mind, that, you know, grey flat stuff. :)

As I said, I don't remember of the top of my head ... don't forget, fuses are there to protect the cable, not the equipment. :nod:

can you not put a SPUR or get an electrician in. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've used extension leads of that length for years without problems.

The lead I fit is made for the prupose 1.0mm squared and from RS. All items plugged in to the extension board are low current and it's my opinion the cable used will be more than adequate to deal with it.

And consider: from 1971 to 2013 I ran a mobile disco and of neccessity carried very long extension leads as you could never tell if the venues played would have enough in situ sockets to cope. At it's peak this would be running a 2Kw PA and a whole myriad of stage lighting.

That adds up to high current. Did I ever have any problems? Did any of these extension cables ever overheat? The answer is no. It will be safe, whether or not 'the regulations' say so or not ;)

I will agree, though, that a purpose made spur run in 2.5 t & e or even better a dedicated loop run in t & e would be a more satisfactory option with a short lead on the extension board but imo that would be using a mallet to crack a walnut.

muckshifter

Reaction score
wasn't trying to tell you how to suck eggs ... just pointing out the obvious. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wasn't trying to tell you how to suck eggs ... just pointing out the obvious. :)

I didn't think you were Mr Mucks, no probs ;)

And I should point out I am not a qualified electrician.

But I do have a little experience in that field.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I didn't think you were Mr Mucks, no probs ;)

And I should point out I am not a qualified electrician.

But I do have a little experience in that field.

I failed my finals exam, calculators were not allowed, half the class failed. :eek:

the RAF don't like to throw away any investments, so, got to retrain as a AMecA (airframes) ... I really liked electronics. :)

I been out for a few years now. :user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I got as far as City & Guilds Pt III in electronic servicing, two parts - colour TV reception and digital techniques. Of course, all the first part is pretty much irrelevant now, very few CRT's about and flatscreens have everything in one large IC.

I've forgotten most of it now though, more money to be earnt laying cable than repairing electronic goods.

I may scan and post my '87 exam paper just for fits and giggles :)

Reaction score
I failed my finals exam, calculators were not allowed, half the class failed. :eek:

the RAF don't like to throw away any investments, so, got to retrain as a AMecA (airframes) ... I really liked electronics. :)

I been out for a few years now. :user:

:lol:Don't the RAF have any use for Sopwith Camels any more MR
Mucks? Never mind I knew Nelson, nice bloke shame about the arm and the eye though.:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Regarding long leads... I have to admit that we have been using one for the past decade. (We're always mindful of not overloading it and using correct fuses, etc.) The only reason we need to replace it, is that it doesn't have sufficient sockets. It also lacks a surge protector.

Whoever designed/built these houses probably had a crease in their blueprints... or something.... Either that, or they felt it was a good idea to position electric sockets at just one end of a room. So a trailing socket can be extremely useful. They also have the added advantage of being flexible, making it easy to reposition things. ;)

I accept that getting the wiring properly sorted would probably have been the more sensible idea, but a (neatly positioned) trailing socket provides us with an easy solution, and less upheaval. :thumb: