    the motherboard, what??

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, Jul 31, 2003

  2. sounds like a bad ground,

    "Thomas Andersson" <> wrote in message
    news:bgatmp$lug0u$-berlin.de...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm having a problem here that's a bit scary. Often I get electricuted by
    > just touching the chassis of my computer. I've changed to a new PSU and a
    > new chassi, but it still happends no matter what combination I'm using.
    > Leaning over it to fix a cable behind it, just touching it and similar

    often
    > results in a bad chock, sometimes even so bad that it shortcuts the

    computer
    > and it goes black...
    > This CAN'T be good for the hardware (I know it's not good for me!).
    > Anyone have a clue where to start looking for a solution, what ahve I done
    > wrong in both machines that cause this? Is it related to the PSU, the

    case,

    bubba in italy, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Thomas Andersson

    Xathros Guest

    Thomas-

    This could be caused by some peripheral equiptment as well. Disconnect all
    AC powered peripherals from the computer (Peinter, Speakers, Monitor etc.)
    Test to see if the problem is gone. If it is, check the power cords and
    reconnect the items one at a time until the problem comes back. If not,
    Check/replace the power cord for the computer and Check the wiring of the
    outlet that it plugs into. It is possible that the outlet is wired backwards
    (Swapping the hot & neutral lines - hmm - this is actually the most likely
    cause now that I think about it.)

    To test, use a volt meter aet for AC to check for voltage between the case
    and a known ground. It should read 0. If it reads 110V - 120v then the
    ground to the computer is actually Hot.

    Hope this helps.

    -Xathros

    Xathros, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Thomas Andersson

    rstlne Guest

    I had a nice long reply typed out then changed my mind as to what advice to
    offer..
    You posted from a berlin server so I am assuming your on the same 240v
    system that we are on here in the UK..
    I would test to see how much voltage is coming through the case (test it
    with the pc power off).. The problem that we have with our supplys is that
    sometimes the earth and neutral will will float apart (yes they do**).. so I
    would test the case to a known good ground.. like a metal waterpipe or
    something similar.. You could even just test and see if it's wired
    correctly.. This is what I would do "last" after checking to see that there
    are no skint wires or anything else inside your case.. But if you have a DVM
    it's going to be dead easy to just check the Earth&Neutral

    (**yes they do)
    I have caught mine "floating" by about 11 volts, a check just now shows it's
    rock steady.. But maybee I connected the E&N when I replaced my ConsumerUnit
    (Breaker Box)..

    rstlne, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Check the power input cable. When you usually get shocked like that, the
    ground pin is open in the power cable or the wall socket.

    "HVsucks|[PSY-W]ThrasherK" <> wrote in message
    > *clapclapclap* nice work :)
    >
    > Heh, sorry, I had to. Anyways to try and help fix:the problem:
    >
    > 1) If you're not getting zapped hard enough to hurt, then you're getting a
    > 5V or 12V tickle from inside of your case. You'd know for sure if it was

    > 120V blast you got (not to mention your computer would be 100% fried)
    >
    > 2) Pull the PSU from the case, but leave everything else plugged into

    it.Set
    > the PSU down on a book or something similar, turn the system on. See if

    its
    > the PSU zapping you or if its something inside the case. If its the PSU,
    > buy a new one (Antec/Enermax or similar) if its inside the case continue:
    >
    > 3) Remove the PSU wires from inside the tower, and examine all of them
    > closely. if any are exposed tape em up well, or replace the PSU one of

    the
    > two.
    >
    > 4) If none of its the PSU, get someone who knows what they're doing to

    help

    Gus Rutherford, Jul 31, 2003
  6. HVsucks|[PSY-W]ThrasherK wrote:

    > 1) If you're not getting zapped hard enough to hurt, then you're
    > getting a 5V or 12V tickle from inside of your case. You'd know for
    > sure if it was a 120V blast you got (not to mention your computer
    > would be 100% fried)

    Maybe not lethal, but painfull enough :/

    > 2) Pull the PSU from the case, but leave everything else plugged into
    > it.Set the PSU down on a book or something similar, turn the system
    > on. See if its the PSU zapping you or if its something inside the
    > case. If its the PSU, buy a new one (Antec/Enermax or similar) if
    > its inside the case continue:

    As I said it happends with both my new and old system, or any combination of
    them. The old one uses a noname 250W PSU and the new one a brand new Enermax
    420W PSU.

    > 3) Remove the PSU wires from inside the tower, and examine all of them
    > closely. if any are exposed tape em up well, or replace the PSU one
    > of the two.

    All cables apear to be OK from what I can tell (except one on the old PSU
    which I have taped up already).

    > 4) If none of its the PSU, get someone who knows what they're doing
    > to help you disassemble and reassemble the entire case, as something
    > in your hardware is directing power straight to the chassis.

    Gonna experiment some toay and see if I can find out additional info about
    the problem!

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, Jul 31, 2003
  7. johnnie7 wrote:

    >> I'm having a problem here that's a bit scary. Often I get
    >> electricuted by just touching the chassis of my computer. I've
    >> changed to a new PSU and a new chassi, but it still happends no
    >> matter what combination I'm using. Leaning over it to fix a cable
    >> behind it, just touching it and similar often
    >> results in a bad chock, sometimes even so bad that it shortcuts the
    >> computer and it goes black...
    >> This CAN'T be good for the hardware (I know it's not good for me!).
    >> Anyone have a clue where to start looking for a solution, what
    >> ahve I done
    >> wrong in both machines that cause this? Is it related to the PSU,
    >> the case, the motherboard, what??

    > have you got a scanner conected to your pc?

    Nope, external connections are ethernet to a ADSL modem, VGA cable to
    monitor and line in/out to my stereo amp.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Thomas Andersson

    johnnie7 Guest

    have you got a scanner conected to your pc?

    john

    "Roger" <> wrote in message

    > spodosaurus wrote:
    > > Thomas Andersson wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi!
    > >>
    > >> I'm having a problem here that's a bit scary. Often I get electricuted

    by
    > >> just touching the chassis of my computer. I've changed to a new PSU and

    > >> new chassi, but it still happends no matter what combination I'm using.
    > >> Leaning over it to fix a cable behind it, just touching it and similar
    > >> often
    > >> results in a bad chock, sometimes even so bad that it shortcuts the
    > >> computer
    > >> and it goes black...
    > >> This CAN'T be good for the hardware (I know it's not good for me!).
    > >> Anyone have a clue where to start looking for a solution, what ahve I
    > >> done
    > >> wrong in both machines that cause this? Is it related to the PSU, the
    > >> case,
    > >> the motherboard, what??
    > >>
    > >> Best Wishes
    > >> Thomas
    > >>

    > > You might want to post this to
    > > alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt...nevermind, I'll do that now...
    > >
    > > You have a short somewhere in there. If the motherboard and components
    > > are not already fried (I'd bet they've already sustained damage) then
    > > I'd suspect the short is in the power supply itself, or you've managed
    > > to damage a wire coming out from the power supply and this is contacting
    > > the case. Either way, don't use the computer anymore until this is

    fixed.

    johnnie7, Jul 31, 2003
  9. Thomas Andersson

    Alan Beagley Guest

    Perhaps there is no ground at the outlet, i.e. no connection between the
    ground pin and the real ground.

    -=-
    Alan

    On 07/31/03 12:13 pm Thomas Andersson put fingers to keyboard and
    launched the following message into cyberspace:

    Alan Beagley, Jul 31, 2003
  10. Hi, you first need to check that your 3rd wire ground lead from the wall
    plug is actually connected to earth ground, such as a cold water pipe.
    There are testing devices you can buy to find out, or call an electrician.
    If you do have a floating ground, this is a potentially lethal problem that
    must be fixed ASAP.

    BTW, a good quality UPS device should have an internal transformer that will
    prevent this sort of problem. I believe they use transformers, not certain
    tho.

    rms

    Roger Squires, Jul 31, 2003
  11. Thomas Andersson

    rstlne Guest

    It's not so much the transformer in a good UPS as the fact that the supply
    in the ups will charge a large cell/battery.. and then that power is
    inverted, and that is isolated (on some not all) ups's..
    you quoted me 10 hour later so I am guessing that my post doesnt show up on
    every NG, just some.. god bless ntl

    rstlne, Jul 31, 2003
  12. Thomas Andersson

    Ed Light Guest

    I would go to a hardware store and get an outlet tester or whatever they're
    called. You plug it in the wall and the lights tell you if there's something
    wrong. They're cheap.

    Have you been using the same line cord? Maybe try another one.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Ed Light, Aug 1, 2003
  13. > spodosaurus wrote:

    > > You have a short somewhere in there. If the motherboard and
    > > components
    > > are not already fried (I'd bet they've already sustained damage) then
    > > I'd suspect the short is in the power supply itself, or you've managed
    > > to damage a wire coming out from the power supply and this is
    > > contacting
    > > the case. Either way, don't use the computer anymore until this is
    > > fixed.

    > Hmm, but as I said this occurs in both my brand new system as well as my old
    > one, or any combination of the two (cables, PSU etc). I'm gonna experiment
    > with all external cables today and see if any single one is the culprit.

    Have an electrician check your outlet. Maybe it's not properly wired?

    David Matthew Wood, Aug 1, 2003
  14. Thomas Andersson

    Ken Guest

    http://www.hut.fi/~then/mytexts/ungrounded_pc.html

    Ken, Aug 1, 2003
  15. Thomas Andersson

    spodosaurus Guest

    Thomas Andersson wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >

    >>You have a short somewhere in there. If the motherboard and
    >>components
    >>are not already fried (I'd bet they've already sustained damage) then
    >>I'd suspect the short is in the power supply itself, or you've managed
    >>to damage a wire coming out from the power supply and this is
    >>contacting
    >>the case. Either way, don't use the computer anymore until this is
    >>fixed.

    > Hmm, but as I said this occurs in both my brand new system as well as my old
    > one, or any combination of the two (cables, PSU etc).

    Same power cable from the wall to the computers? Do you scuff your feet
    when you walk?

    --

    Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
    donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

    spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

    spodosaurus, Aug 1, 2003
  16. Thomas Andersson

    Dave Guest

    Or buy one of those home socket testers before spending huge cash on an
    electrician

    Dave, Aug 1, 2003
  17. Thomas Andersson

    Geoff Guest

    Thomas Andersson wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm having a problem here that's a bit scary. Often I get
    > electricuted by just touching the chassis of my computer. I've
    > changed to a new PSU and a new chassi, but it still happends no
    > matter what combination I'm using. Leaning over it to fix a cable
    > behind it, just touching it and similar often results in a bad chock,
    > sometimes even so bad that it shortcuts the computer and it goes
    > black...
    > This CAN'T be good for the hardware (I know it's not good for me!).
    > Anyone have a clue where to start looking for a solution, what ahve I
    > done wrong in both machines that cause this? Is it related to the
    > PSU, the case, the motherboard, what??
    >
    > Best Wishes
    > Thomas

    hehe it's just static
    and yes, it's very bad for hardware (pick up a cpu and it gets a shock, dead
    cpu)
    just make sure the hardware you are working on, and yourself are grounded
    before you touch any sensistive parts
    for a pc, you could plug it, but not switch it on (assuming your plug has a
    ground pin)
    or touch something thats grounded, like a radiator or something
    if you work on pc parts a lot, you can get wrist straps and you can plug
    into a grounded point

    Geoff, Aug 1, 2003
  18. Thomas Andersson

    LeeBos Guest

    What is described could also be an improperly wired AC receptcile or bad surge
    suppressor. Get a 3 prong AC tester and check it out before you get hurt.

    LeeBos, Aug 3, 2003
  19. Thomas Andersson

    AS Guest

    Some of my experience.
    I had a VCR connected to my ATi Wonder's video in. And had similar problem
    while touching wires behind my PC. Once noticed the TV tuner part was not
    working anymore, though the rest was fine. Actually the same VCR was making
    this kind of jokes in my stereo rack, but everything is working. Not
    anymore -> X files? I should have changed it (it's out off warranty), but
    don't think it's worth to buy a new VCR nowadays, even S-VHS ;-)

    AS, Aug 3, 2003
  20. Thomas Andersson

    AS Guest

    Yes, just the question is if it's worth ;-)

    AS, Aug 4, 2003