EC conducting poll on daylight saving time

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The European Commission has launched a poll to see whether people want to keep daylight savings time, with the aim of changing the rules if it's popular. This has clearly been well received, because whenever I try and access the poll I get a 'website unavailable' message!

eu dst.jpg

Poll link: https://ec.europa.eu/eusurvey/runner/2018-summertime-arrangements?surveylanguage=EN

Deadline is 16th August 2018.

What do you think? Should they get rid of DST once and for all? I'm in favour of getting rid of it to be honest, there doesn't seem to be much point in keeping it.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... will we still be in Europe, or, reopen our own debate, again. ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I like the idea of the hour remaining the same all-year-round, it would be less disruptive to one's personal body-clock. Somehow, the spring and autumn time-change has a much more noticeable affect these days, taking me a few weeks to adjust; for example, to feel tired, wakeful or hungry at the "right" times.

It will be interesting to see what others think. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I don't mind whether we keep or lose DST. It makes no difference at all personally and I have no problems whatsoever when the hour changes, either in spring or autumn. I seem to be able to "absorb" one hour either way without noticing it. Lucky me. :D

Clock.JPG

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
daylight1.jpg

:lol:

I'm in favour of getting rid of it - it doesn't seem to serve any purpose anymore, it's more an inconvenience than anything. Guess we'll see what happens...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Get shot of it, gets on my wick. Mind you, as I understand it now we are no longer part of The Euro Club can't we do what we like?

As I understand it the change was introduced for the benefit of farmers and if so why can't they just adjust their working hours to take advantage of the daylight at different times of the year? Thousands of other workers work hours to suit their employer which can be a bit odd sometimes so why can't Mr Giles?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just completed the survey and in the spirit of a true English football-loving, ambulance-wrecking, true blue, flag-waving Brexiter I told all them garlic-munching clog wearing Euro types to shove their summertime changing where the sun don't shine.

Spoken like a true diplomat would you not agree? :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yup me too. Their site is pretty buggy, it took me three goes to make it work properly, an it is so so slow. :rolleyes:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Interesting article, I kinda agree.

I think the point is to find out what works these days. I mean, before the arrival of trains (and, hence, timetables) it was fine for every village to use its "own" time. Then came the concept of time zones — the idea was, and still is, that solar noon and twelve o'clock "somewhat correspond" within a time zone. But, suddenly, time tables were more of an issue than solar noon.

Now... what this means from time users' perspective ( :p ) is that when a user has her/his timepiece adjusted to correct time(zone), then the user can expect that... dunno... that at seven o'clock in the morning, pubs may not be open, stores might be closed after 24:00, and so on. No matter the time zone. But the underlying idea ("noon 2.0" so to speak) is that the user operates (needs to operate) within one time zone at one given time.

Thing is, this is no longer the case.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I Also agree that it makes far more sense to express dates as Y/M/D :nod:

Not really, if you ask someone here in the uk what day it is they will answer with the weekday. Ask them the date and they will say, 9th,21st,etc etc.Then they will give you the month and lastly the year.

You watch any sci-fi movie where someone lands in a strange place and is confused and they will nearly always be told for example, Why it is Monday the ninth of July in the year of our lord 2018.

or so it seems to me.

Time who needs it, I have not owned a watch for the last thirty years and manage quite well. Most of the time. :lol:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Time who needs it, I have not owned a watch for the last thirty years and manage quite well. Most of the time. :lol:

Yeah, yeah... watches are for cobblers, tailors, and tanners. As my grandpa often said. To my granny. And ducked for cover.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How strange it would be if this goes ahead and because of Brexit the UK Government decided to keep Summer & Winter times.

If that happens I just hope all those who voted leave wanted permanent summertime.

Who's a spiteful bugger then? :D