    necessary, I want to be able to get at the underside of the
    glass...easily. Does such an animal exist?

    Norm

    NSN, Oct 12, 2007

  2. NSN

    Silicon Sam Guest

    On Oct 12, 8:57 am, NSN <> wrote:
    > I have had several scanners in the past, both Canon and Epson. They
    > all seem to arrive with some dust under the glass. Cleaning the
    > underside of the glass has been impossible. I am now looking for a
    > top of the line flatbed scanner, either Epson or Canon. However, if
    > necessary, I want to be able to get at the underside of the
    > glass...easily. Does such an animal exist?
    >
    > Norm

    On my Epson 3170, all I do is remove the 2 screws in the back, lift
    the back up, move forward and the top comes off. Clean underside of
    glass, replace cover. Guess you could leave the 2 screws out if you
    are real lazy, but seriously, it's no big deal.

    Can't get any easier than that. Most scanners are easy, once you
    know how to take the top off.

    Silicon Sam, Oct 12, 2007

  3. NSN

    Mike Fox Guest

    For my Microtech scanner, I even went to the manufacturer to find out
    how to open it up. Can't be done without damaging the scanner.

    Mike Fox, Oct 13, 2007
  4. NSN

    isw Guest

    In article <>,
    Mike Fox <> wrote:

    > For my Microtech scanner, I even went to the manufacturer to find out
    > how to open it up. Can't be done without damaging the scanner.

    I'd be surprised if that's really true -- how do they refurbish ones
    that fail final QA at the factory? I'm sure they don't just throw them
    away. More likely they just don't want you to say "I followed their
    instructions, and now it's broken".

    My Microtek s400 comes apart after removing a few screws, but you have
    to "pop" a couple of plastic latches -- a little stressful the first
    time.

    Isaac

    isw, Oct 13, 2007
  5. NSN

    Talker Guest

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:49:05 -0700, isw <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Mike Fox <> wrote:
    >
    >> For my Microtech scanner, I even went to the manufacturer to find out
    >> how to open it up. Can't be done without damaging the scanner.

    >I'd be surprised if that's really true -- how do they refurbish ones
    >that fail final QA at the factory? I'm sure they don't just throw them
    >away. More likely they just don't want you to say "I followed their
    >instructions, and now it's broken".
    >
    >My Microtek s400 comes apart after removing a few screws, but you have
    >to "pop" a couple of plastic latches -- a little stressful the first
    >time.
    >
    >Isaac

    Yes, I had a MicroTek that opened the same way. You had to remove
    the two screws that were located in the holes where the lid fits into.
    Once you rtemoved those, you had to use a small screwdriver to gentle
    pop open the plastic latches on the sides. Once you've done it, it's
    no big deal, it's just doing it the first time that was a little
    unnerving.<g>
    I switched from MicroTeks to a Canon because of a continuing
    problem with my MicroTek. The Canon just has the two screws in the
    lid's rear mounting holes, and once you've removed those, you just
    lift the back of the top up and slide it off.
    The manufacturers don't want you to now how to remove the tops,
    they want you to go to a repair facility and spend $100 to have the
    glass cleaned. I've always wondered why they don't included things
    like "Ease of glass cleaning" when magazines do writeups on scanners.
    If they used things like that in the writeups, manufacturers would see
    their sales fluctuate, depending on how "repair friendly" their
    products were.

    Talker

    Talker, Oct 13, 2007
  6. NSN

    Mike Fox Guest

    I wish you were right. I've got the Scanmaker 4900, but there's not a
    screw head or plastic latch in sight anywhere--even pried the rubber
    feet off looking. There's a couple pin sized holes through which a
    special tool might be inserted, but that's it.

    Mike

    Mike Fox, Oct 14, 2007
  7. NSN

    wtrplnet Guest

    "Mike Fox" <> wrote in message
    >I wish you were right. I've got the Scanmaker 4900, but there's not a
    > screw head or plastic latch in sight anywhere--even pried the rubber
    > feet off looking. There's a couple pin sized holes through which a
    > special tool might be inserted, but that's it.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:49:05 -0700, isw <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> Mike Fox <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> For my Microtech scanner, I even went to the manufacturer to find out
    >>> how to open it up. Can't be done without damaging the scanner.

    >>I'd be surprised if that's really true -- how do they refurbish ones
    >>that fail final QA at the factory? I'm sure they don't just throw them
    >>away. More likely they just don't want you to say "I followed their
    >>instructions, and now it's broken".
    >>
    >>My Microtek s400 comes apart after removing a few screws, but you have
    >>to "pop" a couple of plastic latches -- a little stressful the first
    >>time.
    >>
    >>Isaac

    Cleaned my Epson 3490 glass yesterday. Despite 'no user serviceable' parts
    warnings, the top came off easily. Removed two screws in the back, gently
    popped four molded 'clips' on the side, came off without even any wiring to
    remove. Of course they don't want you messing around inside it, warranty
    hell for them. Anything that isn't glued together will come apart, you just
    have to figure out how.

    Alan

    wtrplnet, Oct 19, 2007
  8. NSN

    Mike Fox Guest

    You are welcome to come over to my place and show me how.

    Mike
    San Antonio

    Mike Fox, Oct 20, 2007
  9. NSN

    wtrplnet Guest

    "Mike Fox" <> wrote in message
    > You are welcome to come over to my place and show me how.
    >
    > Mike
    > San Antonio
    >>
    >>Cleaned my Epson 3490 glass yesterday. Despite 'no user serviceable'
    >>parts
    >>warnings, the top came off easily. Removed two screws in the back, gently
    >>popped four molded 'clips' on the side, came off without even any wiring
    >>remove. Of course they don't want you messing around inside it, warranty
    >>hell for them. Anything that isn't glued together will come apart, you
    >>just
    >>have to figure out how.
    >>
    >>Alan

    Not sure about your Microtech. I looked at the Epson a couple of times
    before I comitted to opening it. I thought they had actually found a way to
    make it un-openable. I guess after seeing one on Ebay for $25 barely used I
    decided it was worth the risk. I like the scanner a lot and didn't want to
    take a chance of wrecking it. Maybe you can find a junk one to experiment
    on.

    Alan

    wtrplnet, Oct 21, 2007
  10. NSN

    Talker Guest

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 05:00:08 -0500, Mike Fox <>
    wrote:

    >I wish you were right. I've got the Scanmaker 4900, but there's not a
    >screw head or plastic latch in sight anywhere--even pried the rubber
    >feet off looking. There's a couple pin sized holes through which a
    >special tool might be inserted, but that's it.
    >
    >Mike

    Mike, try this.....when you raise the lid up, the back of the lid
    where it connects to the scanner, can you lift it straight up off the
    scanner? If so, raise it up. Now, look into the holes that it came
    out of. Do you see any screws in there? If so, unscrew them.
    Now, looking through the scanner's glass into the inside of the
    scanner, you should see two or three "ribs" on each side of the
    scanner. Take a very small screwdriver and place it in the seam on
    the outside of the scanner where you see one of those ribs. The seam
    is kinda tight, so you might need to wiggle the screwdriver to get it
    to go into the seam. Now twist the screwdrive to see if you can pop
    open the plastic catches. You need to do this at each rib. If it
    doesn't feel like it will pop open, then it might be glued shut and
    can't be opened.
    I used a small pocket screwdriver to open the seam a bit, then
    with the small screwdriver stuck in the seam, I was able to get a
    larger screwdriver to fit in the seam. Then I could twist the larger
    screwdriver and pop it open.

    Talker

    Talker, Oct 28, 2007
  11. NSN

    Mike Fox Guest

    > Mike, try this.....when you raise the lid up, the back of the lid
    >where it connects to the scanner, can you lift it straight up off the
    >scanner? If so, raise it up. Now, look into the holes that it came
    >out of. Do you see any screws in there? If so, unscrew them.
    > Now, looking through the scanner's glass into the inside of the
    >scanner, you should see two or three "ribs" on each side of the
    >scanner. Take a very small screwdriver and place it in the seam on
    >the outside of the scanner where you see one of those ribs. The seam
    >is kinda tight, so you might need to wiggle the screwdriver to get it
    >to go into the seam. Now twist the screwdrive to see if you can pop
    >open the plastic catches. You need to do this at each rib. If it
    >doesn't feel like it will pop open, then it might be glued shut and
    >can't be opened.
    > I used a small pocket screwdriver to open the seam a bit, then
    >with the small screwdriver stuck in the seam, I was able to get a
    >larger screwdriver to fit in the seam. Then I could twist the larger
    >screwdriver and pop it open.
    >
    >Talker

    No Brass ring, and no screws, but thanks for the suggestion.
    Mike

    Mike Fox, Oct 28, 2007
  12. NSN

    Guest

    On Oct 12, 8:57 am, NSN <> wrote:
    > I have had several scanners in the past, both Canon and Epson. They
    > all seem to arrive with some dust under the glass. Cleaning the
    > underside of the glass has been impossible. I am now looking for a
    > top of the line flatbed scanner, either Epson or Canon. However, if
    > necessary, I want to be able to get at the underside of the
    > glass...easily. Does such an animal exist?
    >
    > Norm

    The two screws are inside the square holes that the posts for the
    hinged top slip into. I missed them the first time, too.

    Roger

    , Nov 11, 2007
  13. NSN

    - Guest

    > The two screws are inside the square holes that the posts for the
    > hinged top slip into. I missed them the first time, too.

    On some of the newer Epsons, there are additional screws under press-in caps
    found on the case of the scanner in the area between the glass bed and the
    holes for the hinge inserts.

    Scanner makers don't want customers opening up the scanners, so they make it
    more difficult. It also violates the warranty, so be keep this in mind.

    Doug
    --
    www.BetterScanning.com - Custom Film Holders and Accessories for Agfa,
    Microtek and Epson Scanners

    -, Nov 12, 2007
  14. NSN

    isw Guest

    In article <>,
    " -" <> wrote:

    > > The two screws are inside the square holes that the posts for the
    > > hinged top slip into. I missed them the first time, too.

    > On some of the newer Epsons, there are additional screws under press-in caps
    > found on the case of the scanner in the area between the glass bed and the
    > holes for the hinge inserts.

    Another thing they do is put a screw under a stick-on label -- like the
    one with all the regulatory compliances on it.

    Rub labels pressing hard with the edge of your thumbnail to see if you
    get little round dents. If so, cut a hole with an X-acto knife.

    Isaac

    isw, Nov 12, 2007
  15. NSN

    Silicon Sam Guest

    On Nov 12, 12:06 pm, isw <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > " -" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > The two screws are inside the square holes that the posts for the
    > > > hinged top slip into. I missed them the first time, too.

    > > On some of the newer Epsons, there are additional screws under press-in caps
    > > found on the case of the scanner in the area between the glass bed and the
    > > holes for the hinge inserts.

    On my Epson 3170, there are 2 screws under the wells that the hinge
    rest into. Lift up the back, and slide forward. On my new Epson
    4490, 2 screws in the hinge well, and 2 under the control panel.
    Lifts right up. I cleaned the bottom side with some eyeglass cleaner
    pre-soaked pads. Worked like a charm.

    Sam

    Silicon Sam, Nov 20, 2007
  16. NSN

    Guest

    On Nov 20, 8:25 am, Silicon Sam <> wrote:
    > On Nov 12, 12:06 pm, isw <> wrote:

    > > > On some of the newer Epsons, there are additional screws under press-in caps
    > > > found on the case of the scanner in the area between the glass bed and the
    > > > holes for the hinge inserts.

    > On my Epson 3170, there are 2 screws under the wells that the hinge
    > rest into. Lift up the back, and slide forward. On my new Epson
    > 4490, 2 screws in the hinge well, and 2 under the control panel.
    > Lifts right up. I cleaned the bottom side with some eyeglass cleaner
    > pre-soaked pads. Worked like a charm.
    >
    > Sam

    Is there any way to open a Canon 8800F? I've got all sorts of specks
    that must be under the glass and I've tried 2 different scanners, same
    model, they both have the specks. I like the scanner otherwise, but
    will have to return it if I can't figure out how to get rid of the
    dust.

    Jeannie

    , Dec 5, 2007
  17. NSN

    CSM1 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 20, 8:25 am, Silicon Sam <> wrote:
    >> On Nov 12, 12:06 pm, isw <> wrote:

    >> On my Epson 3170, there are 2 screws under the wells that the hinge
    >> rest into. Lift up the back, and slide forward. On my new Epson
    >> 4490, 2 screws in the hinge well, and 2 under the control panel.
    >> Lifts right up. I cleaned the bottom side with some eyeglass cleaner
    >> pre-soaked pads. Worked like a charm.
    >>
    >> Sam

    > Is there any way to open a Canon 8800F? I've got all sorts of specks
    > that must be under the glass and I've tried 2 different scanners, same
    > model, they both have the specks. I like the scanner otherwise, but
    > will have to return it if I can't figure out how to get rid of the
    > dust.
    >
    > Jeannie

    Yes, if the 8800F is the same case as the 8400F. (I think it is).
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com/CanonScanner/Canon.htm

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com