E-mail checker

elephant

Looking for a freeware e-mail checker that works like mailwasher, but
doesn't do bouncing. Will allow me to delete junk from the server.
Would like it to do hotmail accounts as well as POP3. And, if possible,
allow WAV file announcements for each account.

Have searched all over the freeware sites, but can't find anything that
will do what I'm looking for. Some will do POP3 only.

Any suggestions?

James Watson

elephant leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before typing
in alt.comp.freeware:
Looking for a freeware e-mail checker that works like mailwasher,
but doesn't do bouncing. Will allow me to delete junk from the
server. Would like it to do hotmail accounts as well as POP3.
And, if possible, allow WAV file announcements for each account.

Have searched all over the freeware sites, but can't find anything
that will do what I'm looking for. Some will do POP3 only.

Any suggestions?

See if you can find a copy of "Scanmailbox" which used to be at
http://www.kempston.demon.co.uk/smb/index.html

Old, but I use it all the time, and it might suit your needs too.

HTH

James Watson

Even Afwezig leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before typing
in alt.comp.freeware:
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win95/winsock/apps/scanmailbox/

Noted, thanks for the link.

John Fitzsimons

On 24 Dec 2005 18:13:47 GMT, James Watson <[email protected]>
wrote:

See if you can find a copy of "Scanmailbox" which used to be at
http://www.kempston.demon.co.uk/smb/index.html

Or ;

http://www.kempston.net/smb/

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Lawrence

elephant said:
Looking for a freeware e-mail checker that works like mailwashe

Such mail checkers don't always work with accounts requiring special
security arrangements.

Lawrence

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Looking for a freeware e-mail checker that works like mailwasher, but
doesn't do bouncing. Will allow me to delete junk from the server.
Would like it to do hotmail accounts as well as POP3. And, if possible,
allow WAV file announcements for each account.

Have searched all over the freeware sites, but can't find anything that
will do what I'm looking for. Some will do POP3 only.

Any suggestions?

ePrompter is excellent for that and handles a variety of webmail
accounts. I've been using it for years, and it would be on my top ten
list of freeware apps to install when migrating to a new computer.

http://www.eprompter.com/

Fred

Looking for a freeware e-mail checker that works like mailwasher, but
doesn't do bouncing. Will allow me to delete junk from the server.
Would like it to do hotmail accounts as well as POP3. And, if possible,
allow WAV file announcements for each account.

Have searched all over the freeware sites, but can't find anything that
will do what I'm looking for. Some will do POP3 only.

Any suggestions?

http://www.poptray.org/

Main Features:

* Unlimited number of Accounts
* Show number of messages directly on the TrayIcon (rotating by
account)
* Quickly preview a message
* Delete messages from the server without downloading them
* Rules that identify a message according to your criteria, then
does one of these actions:
o Play different notification sound
o Delete from the server
o Run any EXE file
o Mark as Spam
o etc ...
* Configurable Hot-keys/Mouse-Buttons/Command-Line options for
most functions
* Plug-in Support:
o Protocol plug-ins (e.g. IMAP4, Hotmail, Gmail, etc.)
o Notify plug-ins (e.g. Flashing scroll-lock light,
ScreenSaver)
* Spam management using rules and white/black lists
* Mulitple notfications (play sound, pop-up, etc)
* Translated into 30+ languages
* Complete Install / Uninstall
* Many More ...

All this for FREE and Open-Source !

Have fun, Fred
Mijdrecht, Holland 5 m below sea level

Querulantus

Even Afwezig said:
A lot can do ssl. An example is http://www.poptray.org/

I looked at v. 3.2beta2. The Help file says pop2ssl is supported.
However, the configuration window for new accounts shows pop3 as only
option. There is the suggestion of a drop down list with various
protocols, but it contains only pop3 and others can't be entered.
Did I overlook something?

Q.

Even Afwezig

Op Sun, 25 Dec 2005 13:57:17 +0100, Querulantus
I looked at v. 3.2beta2. The Help file says pop2ssl is supported.
However, the configuration window for new accounts shows pop3 as only
option. There is the suggestion of a drop down list with various
protocols, but it contains only pop3 and others can't be entered.
Did I overlook something?

Yep, you did overlook something. Look at
http://www.poptray.org/plugins.php

elephant

elephant said:
Looking for a freeware e-mail checker that works like mailwasher, but
doesn't do bouncing. Will allow me to delete junk from the server.
Would like it to do hotmail accounts as well as POP3. And, if possible,
allow WAV file announcements for each account.

Have searched all over the freeware sites, but can't find anything that
will do what I'm looking for. Some will do POP3 only.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like Pop Tray with the
Hotmail plugin is going to do just what I need.

Querulantus

elephant said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like Pop Tray with the
Hotmail plugin is going to do just what I need.

PopTray is very good and quite configurable. BTW, you can set
different intervals, which is important when you have a pop3/smtp
account which limits the number of contacts per day (some free ones
do).

Q.

Chief

Know exactly what you need. Go to www.poppeeper.com and download the
program along with all plugins. The only email sites it won't do yet
is Netscape, AOL, Inbox, but it supports POP3, SMTP, GMail,
Hotmail\MSN, Yahoo, Mail.com, MyWay, Excite, Lycos.com, RediffMail and
is very easy to setup. The email check also has a Poppeeper Tweaker
that you should download as well. You can check your emails, also
reply on using the same program or you default program such as Outlook.
The author is constanly updating and it will download and install for
you. All is free and it can't hurt to join his chat site to discuss
updates with users such as myself, the Consumate Geek, Chief USN-Ret.

miskairal

Yep, PopPeeper. It was one of the first programmes I reinstalled after
formatting. I've used it for a couple of years now and have about 10
accounts setup through it including gmail, hotmail and yahoo.com.au