Dynamic Template Problems

I am not a website professional, just someone helping a friend so excuse my
non-technical descriptions.

I helped a friend create a FrontPage 2003 website with a dynamic template.
Everything was good and working like it should. We needed to start doing
updates with a new laptop computer since we were getting rid of the old
desktop one.

So we used the website import wizard to copy the site from the host to the
local laptop PC. This seemed to work okay.

Because updates might need to be done from the old computer too before we
got rid of it entirely, I had her always do a "remote to local" update before
starting work on the site. Then when she was done, she did a "local to
remote."

A couple weeks ago, I had to update using the old PC. So I did a "remote to
local" before I started to update. Right off the bat I noticed there were
now two index files - one with "html" on the end and the other with "htm."

I went ahead and started to update using the most recent one - likely the
one from her computer. The other was probably my old one.

Then I noticed the template was no longer write-protected. It would allow
me to edit it. So, I opened the template file, made a change, and tried to
update, but it said it was only attached to one file - my old index file. It
was no longer attached to the other pages.

I checked on the laptop and the template was also entirely editable there
too.

I have also found that our hosting company uses 2002 extensions if that
helps.

So here are my questions:

1) What happened?
2) How do I prevent it? Will it happen again if we try to use both
computers?
3) Is there someway to easily fix this? (i.e., turn the edges of the pages
back into a template?)

Stefan B Rusynko

You need to make the home page file name the same as that required by the host server
- the reason you have 2 is that FP created the correct one but it is not linked to your nav view
- delete the wrong one and make sure the right one has the home icon in nav view

You should never have imported the site
- always use FP Publish (from host to PC or reverse)

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

"bjay100" <bjay100.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message |I am not a website professional, just someone helping a friend so excuse my
| non-technical descriptions.
|
| I helped a friend create a FrontPage 2003 website with a dynamic template.
| Everything was good and working like it should. We needed to start doing
| updates with a new laptop computer since we were getting rid of the old
| desktop one.
|
| So we used the website import wizard to copy the site from the host to the
| local laptop PC. This seemed to work okay.
|
| Because updates might need to be done from the old computer too before we
| got rid of it entirely, I had her always do a "remote to local" update before
| starting work on the site. Then when she was done, she did a "local to
| remote."
|
| A couple weeks ago, I had to update using the old PC. So I did a "remote to
| local" before I started to update. Right off the bat I noticed there were
| now two index files - one with "html" on the end and the other with "htm."
|
| I went ahead and started to update using the most recent one - likely the
| one from her computer. The other was probably my old one.
|
| Then I noticed the template was no longer write-protected. It would allow
| me to edit it. So, I opened the template file, made a change, and tried to
| update, but it said it was only attached to one file - my old index file. It
| was no longer attached to the other pages.
|
| I checked on the laptop and the template was also entirely editable there
| too.
|
| I have also found that our hosting company uses 2002 extensions if that
| helps.
|
| So here are my questions:
|
| 1) What happened?
| 2) How do I prevent it? Will it happen again if we try to use both
| computers?
| 3) Is there someway to easily fix this? (i.e., turn the edges of the pages
| back into a template?)
|

| --
| Elizabeth W

So...what do I need to do now? Do I need to start all over?

Or when I delete the extra homepage file, should that fix everything even
though none of the other pages show they are attached to a template anymore?

--
Elizabeth W