    shows it as a dvd-ram and it won't recognize blank dvd's. The drive show
    properly in device manager and computer management =HP DVD Writer 1140i. Is
    there a fix?

    freeken1968, Aug 24, 2009

  2. freeken1968

    Rich Barry Guest

    Open MyComputer>rt click dvd drive Icon>select
    Properties>Recording>check box Enable recording on this drive.

    Rich Barry, Aug 24, 2009

  3. freeken1968

    smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 24, 5:27 am, freeken1968
    <> wrote:
    > I moved a dvd-rw from my Vista machine to my XPpro machine. Now my computer
    > shows it as a dvd-ram and it won't recognize blank dvd's. The drive show
    > properly in device manager and computer management =HP DVD Writer 1140i.. Is
    > there a fix?

    There is no problem with this drive showing up as a DVD-RAM. The DVD
    drive specification indicate that this drive can use the DVD-RAM
    "media"

    As for not being able to see the blank DVD media, you need to check
    the Recording Tab and install another DVD "burning" software. XP does
    not write to most DVD medias (R, RW, DL R.)

    smlunatick, Aug 24, 2009
  4. freeken1968

    Ian D Guest

    >I moved a dvd-rw from my Vista machine to my XPpro machine. Now my computer
    > shows it as a dvd-ram and it won't recognize blank dvd's. The drive show
    > properly in device manager and computer management =HP DVD Writer 1140i.
    > Is
    > there a fix?

    That's normal. XP does not recognize DVD-RW drives, so it
    displays it as a DVD-RAM in Explorer. To write to a DVD,
    XP requires an external program,, such as Nero. Vista can
    write to DVDs natively.

    Ian D, Aug 26, 2009
  5. freeken1968

    smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 26, 6:49 pm, "Ian D" <> wrote:
    > "freeken1968" <> wrote in message

    > >I moved a dvd-rw from my Vista machine to my XPpro machine. Now my computer
    > > shows it as a dvd-ram and it won't recognize blank dvd's. The drive show
    > > properly in device manager and computer management =HP DVD Writer 1140i.
    > > Is
    > > there a fix?

    > That's normal.  XP does not recognize DVD-RW drives, so it
    > displays it as a DVD-RAM in Explorer.  To write to a DVD,
    > XP requires an external program,, such as Nero.  Vista can
    > write to DVDs natively.

    Not completely true. Windows XP will correctly display the optical
    drive as a DVD-RW. You just can not use any built-in XP tools to
    write to it. The main reason the drive shows up as a DVD-Ram unit is
    the fact the drive can use the DVD-Ram media.

    smlunatick, Aug 27, 2009
  6. freeken1968

    SC Tom Guest

    "smlunatick" <> wrote in message
    On Aug 26, 6:49 pm, "Ian D" <> wrote:
    > "freeken1968" <> wrote in message

    > >I moved a dvd-rw from my Vista machine to my XPpro machine. Now my
    > >computer
    > > shows it as a dvd-ram and it won't recognize blank dvd's. The drive show
    > > properly in device manager and computer management =HP DVD Writer 1140i.
    > > Is
    > > there a fix?

    > That's normal. XP does not recognize DVD-RW drives, so it
    > displays it as a DVD-RAM in Explorer. To write to a DVD,
    > XP requires an external program,, such as Nero. Vista can
    > write to DVDs natively.

    Not completely true. Windows XP will correctly display the optical
    drive as a DVD-RW. You just can not use any built-in XP tools to
    write to it. The main reason the drive shows up as a DVD-Ram unit is
    the fact the drive can use the DVD-Ram media.

    =========================
    I have 2 DVD-RW drives, and 1 shows as RW and the other shows as RAM. The
    only differences are the manufacturers and 1 is Lightscribe capable. Go
    figure, eh?

    SC Tom
    (XP Home SP3, BTW)

    SC Tom, Aug 28, 2009
  7. freeken1968

    smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 27, 7:39 pm, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    > "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    > On Aug 26, 6:49 pm, "Ian D" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "freeken1968" <> wrote in message

    > > >I moved a dvd-rw from my Vista machine to my XPpro machine. Now my
    > > >computer
    > > > shows it as a dvd-ram and it won't recognize blank dvd's. The drive show
    > > > properly in device manager and computer management =HP DVD Writer 1140i.
    > > > Is
    > > > there a fix?

    > > That's normal. XP does not recognize DVD-RW drives, so it
    > > displays it as a DVD-RAM in Explorer. To write to a DVD,
    > > XP requires an external program,, such as Nero. Vista can
    > > write to DVDs natively.

    > Not completely true.  Windows XP will correctly display the optical
    > drive as a DVD-RW.  You just can not use any built-in XP tools to
    > write to it.  The main reason the drive shows up as a DVD-Ram unit is
    > the fact the drive can use the DVD-Ram media.
    >
    > =========================
    > I have 2 DVD-RW drives, and 1 shows as RW and the other shows as RAM. The
    > only differences are the manufacturers and 1 is Lightscribe capable. Go
    > figure, eh?
    >
    > SC Tom
    > (XP Home SP3, BTW)

    The one wiht Lightscribe "probably" can also use DVD-Ram media. Most
    Lightscribe compatible drivers are multi-format ones with DVD-Ram
    media format as one of the format.

    smlunatick, Aug 28, 2009
  8. freeken1968

    On Aug 27, 7:39 pm, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    > "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    > On Aug 26, 6:49 pm, "Ian D" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "freeken1968" <> wrote in message

    > > >I moved a dvd-rw from my Vista machine to my XPpro machine. Now my
    > > >computer
    > > > shows it as a dvd-ram and it won't recognize blank dvd's. The drive
    > > > show
    > > > properly in device manager and computer management =HP DVD Writer
    > > > 1140i.
    > > > Is
    > > > there a fix?

    > > That's normal. XP does not recognize DVD-RW drives, so it
    > > displays it as a DVD-RAM in Explorer. To write to a DVD,
    > > XP requires an external program,, such as Nero. Vista can
    > > write to DVDs natively.

    > Not completely true. Windows XP will correctly display the optical
    > drive as a DVD-RW. You just can not use any built-in XP tools to
    > write to it. The main reason the drive shows up as a DVD-Ram unit is
    > the fact the drive can use the DVD-Ram media.
    >
    > =========================
    > I have 2 DVD-RW drives, and 1 shows as RW and the other shows as RAM. The
    > only differences are the manufacturers and 1 is Lightscribe capable. Go
    > figure, eh?
    >
    > SC Tom
    > (XP Home SP3, BTW)

    The one wiht Lightscribe "probably" can also use DVD-Ram media. Most
    Lightscribe compatible drivers are multi-format ones with DVD-Ram
    media format as one of the format.

    ===========================
    It is. It says "X multi" on it. Don't know about the other, though.

    SC Tom, Aug 28, 2009
  9. freeken1968

    smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 28, 2:40 am, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    > "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    > On Aug 27, 7:39 pm, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    > > On Aug 26, 6:49 pm, "Ian D" <> wrote:

    > > > "freeken1968" <> wrote in message

    > > > That's normal. XP does not recognize DVD-RW drives, so it
    > > > displays it as a DVD-RAM in Explorer. To write to a DVD,
    > > > XP requires an external program,, such as Nero. Vista can
    > > > write to DVDs natively.

    > > Not completely true. Windows XP will correctly display the optical
    > > drive as a DVD-RW. You just can not use any built-in XP tools to
    > > write to it. The main reason the drive shows up as a DVD-Ram unit is
    > > the fact the drive can use the DVD-Ram media.

    > > =========================
    > > I have 2 DVD-RW drives, and 1 shows as RW and the other shows as RAM. The
    > > only differences are the manufacturers and 1 is Lightscribe capable. Go
    > > figure, eh?

    > > SC Tom
    > > (XP Home SP3, BTW)

    > The one wiht Lightscribe "probably" can also use DVD-Ram media.  Most
    > Lightscribe compatible drivers are multi-format ones with DVD-Ram
    > media format as one of the format.
    >
    > ===========================
    > It is. It says "X multi" on it. Don't know about the other, though.

    Nero InfoTool utility will / should be able to read your "drives"
    firmwares and report the media compatiblies.

    smlunatick, Aug 28, 2009
  10. freeken1968

    On Aug 28, 2:40 am, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    > "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    > On Aug 27, 7:39 pm, "SC Tom" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    > > On Aug 26, 6:49 pm, "Ian D" <> wrote:

    > > > "freeken1968" <> wrote in message

    > > > That's normal. XP does not recognize DVD-RW drives, so it
    > > > displays it as a DVD-RAM in Explorer. To write to a DVD,
    > > > XP requires an external program,, such as Nero. Vista can
    > > > write to DVDs natively.

    > > Not completely true. Windows XP will correctly display the optical
    > > drive as a DVD-RW. You just can not use any built-in XP tools to
    > > write to it. The main reason the drive shows up as a DVD-Ram unit is
    > > the fact the drive can use the DVD-Ram media.

    > > =========================
    > > I have 2 DVD-RW drives, and 1 shows as RW and the other shows as RAM.
    > > The
    > > only differences are the manufacturers and 1 is Lightscribe capable. Go
    > > figure, eh?

    > > SC Tom
    > > (XP Home SP3, BTW)

    > The one wiht Lightscribe "probably" can also use DVD-Ram media. Most
    > Lightscribe compatible drivers are multi-format ones with DVD-Ram
    > media format as one of the format.
    >
    > ===========================
    > It is. It says "X multi" on it. Don't know about the other, though.

    Nero InfoTool utility will / should be able to read your "drives"
    firmwares and report the media compatiblies.
    =============================

    Yep, you're right, the Lightscribe one is RAM-compatible, and the other
    isn't. I had to download a newer version of InfoTool; my version is too old
    to read the drives correctly.

    SC Tom, Aug 28, 2009
  11. freeken1968

    Ian D Guest

    On Aug 26, 6:49 pm, "Ian D" <> wrote:
    > "freeken1968" <> wrote in message

    > >I moved a dvd-rw from my Vista machine to my XPpro machine. Now my
    > >computer
    > > shows it as a dvd-ram and it won't recognize blank dvd's. The drive show
    > > properly in device manager and computer management =HP DVD Writer 1140i.
    > > Is
    > > there a fix?

    > That's normal. XP does not recognize DVD-RW drives, so it
    > displays it as a DVD-RAM in Explorer. To write to a DVD,
    > XP requires an external program,, such as Nero. Vista can
    > write to DVDs natively.

    Not completely true. Windows XP will correctly display the optical
    drive as a DVD-RW. You just can not use any built-in XP tools to
    write to it. The main reason the drive shows up as a DVD-Ram unit is
    the fact the drive can use the DVD-Ram media.

    You're right, my older system shows it as DVD-RW. Besides that,
    XP cannot natively write to DVD-RW, but it can write to DVD-RAM
    disks, if they are first formatted by XP.

    Ian D, Aug 28, 2009