DVD RW drive not recognising 'Spore'

Reaction score
My Dvd Rw drive does not recognise spore even as a disc, It has no scratches at all, and the drive reads all my other games, Is there another way to fix/solve this without buying a new DVD Rom drive?
wallbash.gif

Thanks in advance :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First thing, try it in another computer.

If another optical drive reads it ok then consider replacing your drive.

If another optical drive fails to read Spore then try cleaning the CD (soft duster type cloth, preferably with a commercial disk cleaning fluid or isopropyl alcohol) and if it's still not readable then your Spore disk is suspect.

The fact your drive won't read Spore but reads all other disks makes me suspect the disk is faulty.

Is the disk a bona fide copy of Spore and not a 'backup'? And was Spore purchased new or used?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
First thing, try it in another computer.

If another optical drive reads it ok then consider replacing your drive.

If another optical drive fails to read Spore then try cleaning the CD (soft duster type cloth, preferably with a commercial disk cleaning fluid or isopropyl alcohol) and if it's still not readable then your Spore disk is suspect.

The fact your drive won't read Spore makes me suspect the disk is faulty.

Is the disk a bona fide copy of Spore and not a 'backup'? And was Spore purchased new or used?

The icon to install appears on my laptop, but not my desktop, I bought the game new - but unsealed at WH Smith, for only £10, the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, that rules out it being an iffy disk.

If the disk won't install on two different machines then it sounds like the disk is faulty. Which is probably why WH Smith sold it off cheap.

When a computer game is returned to some retailers instead of returning it to their supplier for a refund/replacement which they should do, they will first try selling it to somebody else in the hope the game will work for the new customer.

Obvioulsy can't prove that's true, but it's likely.

Try asking for a replacement from WH Smith but they'll probably just offer you your money back :(

Spore is available from Amazon for £11.39 btw.

And I recently picked up the expansion pack 'Galactic Adventures' from a GAME store for £7.00, they're selling lots of PC games off cheap atm.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Ok, that rules out it being an iffy disk.

If the disk won't install on two different machines then it sounds like the disk is faulty. Which is probably why WH Smith sold it off cheap.

When a computer game is returned to some retailers instead of returning it to their suppler for a refund/replacement which they should do, they will first try selling it to somebody else in the hope the game will work for the new customer.

Obvioulsy can't prove that's true, but it's likely.

Try asking for a replacement from WH Smith but they'll probably just offer you your money back :(

Spore is available from Amazon for £11.39 btw.

And I recently picked up the expansion pack 'Galactic Adventures' from a GAME store for £7.00, they're selling lots of PC games of cheap atm.
They had a sale for all their games, I'm guessing they are stopping to sell them, I also picked up Zelda spirit tracks, which is quite recent for only £10 and that was sealed, I dont have much experience with PC games, and was wondering if I could perhaps send the file from the laptop to my desktop?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
FanaticalOrkz said:
They had a sale for all their games, I'm guessing they are stopping to sell them, I also picked up Zelda spirit tracks, which is quite recent for only £10 and that was sealed, I dont have much experience with PC games, and was wondering if I could perhaps send the file from the laptop to my desktop?

If it won't install on the desktop then transferring the file won't help.

Does it install on the laptop?

It is possible your desktop PC doesn't meet minimum requirements for the game that might stop it installing but unlikely.

And, of course, it is still possible your optical drive is knackered.

I refer to my original post 'check the disk in another (desktop) PC' ;)

Ask a Question