DVD/CD-ROM device not found.

navybluechuckz

I have a fairly new Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, Service pack 2,
Windows XP computer... A few weeks after buying it, the cd-rom drive
stopped reading cds. It still works; you can still hear it run and
read CDs and stuff. But under My Computer, the drive stopped showing
up.

In Device Manager, it says:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Thanks for your help.

KrazE

Go into device manager & uninstall the device, then click action > scan for
hardware changes to reinstall the driver.

navybluechuckz

--
~*Kim*~

MCP/MCSA/MCSE
The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?>

message

Okay, after I uninstalled and reinstalled the device, a different
Device status message appears:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

suggestions? THANKS.

Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
windows successfully loaded the device drivers for this hardware but cannot find the

This worked for me, may be it will work for you also

1. Go to Run on Start menu
2. Execute Regedit and press ok
3. In Registery window go to Edit menu and search for "Upper Files".
4. If found then delete it and then search for "Lower Files"
5. If found then delete it
6. Restart computer again

Thanks

Rishi

navybluechuckz said:
I have a fairly new Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, Service pack 2,
Windows XP computer... A few weeks after buying it, the cd-rom drive
stopped reading cds. It still works; you can still hear it run and
read CDs and stuff. But under My Computer, the drive stopped showing
up.

In Device Manager, it says:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Thanks for your help.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-DVD-CD-ROM-device-found-ftopict546166.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1725743

Sharon F

This worked for me, may be it will work for you also

1. Go to Run on Start menu
2. Execute Regedit and press ok
3. In Registery window go to Edit menu and search for "Upper Files".
4. If found then delete it and then search for "Lower Files"
5. If found then delete it
6. Restart computer again

Thanks

Rishi
Perhaps you mistyped "filters"? Directions for this procedure normally
state "upper filters" and "lower filters."

Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
To be exact - UpperFilters and LowerFilters

I finally found a KB article at Microsoft that helped me go directly to the problem.

Q314060 - dated June 23, 2005.

Talks about the UpperFilters and gives the path to the exact key. I noticed in mine that there was garbage in the UpperFilters. The LowerFilters had good data for the layered products on my system.

Sharon F

I finally found a KB article at Microsoft that helped me go directly to
the problem.

Q314060 - dated June 23, 2005.

Talks about the UpperFilters and gives the path to the exact key. I
noticed in mine that there was garbage in the UpperFilters. The
LowerFilters had good data for the layered products on my system.

So the article helped and it's fixed now?

Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Thanks for your correction

Sharon F said:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 13:42:13 +0100, rishi bajaj wrote:

> This worked for me, may be it will work for you also
>
> 1. Go to Run on Start menu
> 2. Execute Regedit and press ok
> 3. In Registery window go to Edit menu and search for "Upper Files".
> 4. If found then delete it and then search for "Lower Files"
> 5. If found then delete it
> 6. Restart computer again
>
> Thanks
>
> Rishi

Perhaps you mistyped "filters"? Directions for this procedure normally
state "upper filters" and "lower filters."

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User