DVD burner, suggestions?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Once again, i turn to the collective knowledge of the PC crew. :D
This time i need help locating a DVD burner for my computer, I dont know what to look for when it comes to drives.

- Good quality
-inexpensive ($40)
- Quite
- SATA connections

Ive heard good things about Plexor and Pioneer, but frankly are little expensive for my taste. Lite-on drives are cheap too, but unknown quality. Do you guys have any good suggestions or personal experience?

Reaction score
:thumb:

Thats the one I have in my system at the moment.

Good drive, does everything you could want it to do really.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Lite-ons are the same factory as Sony . If you google reviews you'll see they give very acceptable results.
I have used mine for 3 years , no problems .
user.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Lite on drives look decent enough, but i heard that they are fairly loud. Ive had enough of loud drives in the past :p

is there anything i should look for in a drive?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've had a helluva lotta DVDRW drives.

All makes have crapped out on me, I think they are the most unreliable piece of equipment in any PC Build.

So, based on my experience of the last five years or so - Plextor.

My 800A is flawless, haven't had a single prob so far and it even burns cheapo dual layer disks with no probs.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My Lite-on is quiet but my Artec is totaly silent but its very slow burns nicely though .
nod.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind a Plexor, but be damned if they aint expensive.
The LG drive i mention has good reviews overall so heres hoping i made a good choice :D

For future reference, what drive manufacturer should i jump for? can you name your top 3?

Reaction score
I reckon

Plextor
Pioneer
LG.

In that order.

I have had 4 LGs and they they havn't ever died on me. I may just be lucky, but the other two are well out of my price range.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My experience of lots of drives means its Gotta be one of these..

Plextor...Top drive, quality, reliable, all you want in a drive..Expensive, you get what you pay for..

Pioneer...Top drive reliable, quiet, good price and compatible with lots of media..

Samsung...Cheap but reliable drives can be noisy but super value, compatible with lots of media..

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
L.G without doubt ..got TV, DVD , and CD rewriter all A ok...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well me got the Plextor PX740A, its a little over a year old iirc, and is fantastic, quiet and quick. It is IDE, and i would like a sata one just for the cable neatness. If i had to get another one it would be a Plextor.
nod.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
recieved my LG drive, X-fi and 3 scythe fans today. :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I was looking into that one, since i have an asus mobo. Lite scribe wouldve been nice, but i really dont need it as i only plan on using the burner for backups

Ask a Question