Duplicate Attachments

Roger Jordan

Hi,
we have a curios effect in using Outlook XP SP1 with Exchange 2000 SP3:
If users sends emails with an attachment, some times the attachment gets
duplicated when sending the mail. The attachment is definitly only put once
in the mail, after sending, the mail in the sent items folder has a
duplicate attachment and the recipients gets duplicate attachment too.
Any idea about this?

Roger

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Roger,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, it is a strange problem. I suspect the problem is related to a certain
COM Add-in or extension, or a certain service running in the background.

To narrow down the problem's scope, please try the following two tests:

Test 1: Outlook Safe Mode:
-----------------------------

Please start Outlook in Safe Mode with the "/safe" command-line switch:

1) Click the "Start" menu, and then click "Run".
2) In the Open window, type "Outlook.exe".

3) Following the last character of the name, type a space followed by
"/Safe" (without the quotation marks), and click "ok". Here is an example:

"Outlook.exe /Safe"

If the file "outlook.exe" is not found, please type the exact path of this
file and repeat the steps. If there are spaces in the path name, enclose it
in quotation marks. Here is another example:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /Safe

This causes Outlook to load without COM Add-ins and extensions. Now does
the problem still appear in "Safe Mode"?

Test 2: Use Outlook in Windows Safe Mode without Networking:

Let's start the operating system in Safe Mode Without Networking:

1) Reboot the computer.
2) When the Starting Windows screen shows, press F8.
3) Select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter.
4) Log on as Administrator.
5) Does this issue occur in Safe Mode?

(NOTE: Safe Mode loads the minimum number of required basic device drivers
and system services to start the system. Programs located in the Startup
Program group are not started. So this will be very helpful for us to
narrow down the root cause.)

Please let me know the results. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation