Duke Nukem Forever

Reaction score
I preordered via Amazon and got a demo keycode to get the demo from Steam :)

It is a DX9 console port, but I guess we all expected that. But still they did a pretty good job with that old technology (I read that it uses the Unreal2 engine). When I got to the 2nd map, the first thing I noticed was an annoying fuzzy, blurriness to everything distant. It absolutely drove me nuts. The video settings are limited in the demo, but there's a setting for "film grain". I thought that might be the culprit, but it wasn't. The only thing that helped was turning off the general setting for "Post Special Effects" - which includes tone mapping, bloom, depth of field, and ambient occlusion. But there's no way to selectively adjust those things, it's all or nothing. So I turned that off and got rid of the blurriness. With that sorted out, I thoroughly enjoyed it. They managed to bring back the original Duke Nukem 3D appeal, but this time it's really 3D :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Mines just started unlocking! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mines just started unlocking! :D

You lucky git :D

Mine was posted from Play.com yesterday so we'll see when it arrives.

I went with Play.com in the end rather than Amazon cos it had some DLC (extra MP maps) that Amazon didn't).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Played a little bit last night, think its the same as the demo you played Flops. (starts in the toilet)

Seems ok, but i did only play about 5 mins as i got drafted in to play some Black Ops.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Did you know you can actually pick up deposits from the WC then use it to hit people with or throw it. Yuk and lol in equal measures :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Must confess, i spent most of the time on the whiteboard.:fool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm tempted to get this - what's your verdict so far? :)

... Oh sod it, it's Duke Nukem - I'll fire up steam now :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
From what i've read, is getting mixed reviews.

The demo that was out for the Borderlands GOTY folk can be got fro mother sources if you want to try it..

:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks V_R!

I've gone for it already :). I have lots of fond memories of the first games that I may as well give it a crack.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
What do you think of the game so far guys!

Is it fun to play..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'll let you know when it arrives :D Though the demo was very good.

So, I've saved three quid, got a hard copy and saved on bandwidth and a whole extra 'free' bunch of multiplayer maps by buying from Play.com. But I don't have it now.

Normally this wouldn't bother me but this is one game I really was quite keen to play.

But I was thinking, basically it's just an fps console port so why the excitement? It's the Duke Nukem franchise and the twelve year wait, probably. Brilliant one liners and the whole concept, jet packs and all.

But I don't think I'll let it blind me to the fact this is a game that apart from what I've mentioned is now probably fairly old games technology using DX9.

Still, can't wait for it to arrive :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The game arrived Saturday morning.

There are 23 levels, I have now completed seven of them including the first boss. I am not the quickest games player in the world.

Here's a very brief summary, imo: dated gamestyle & technology; lottsa fun; great game.

If you have even a passing interest in fps's, get this, it's a whole lot of enjoyment.

The one-liners make me laugh, I'm playing it on easy, still manage to die a fair bit but so far have muddled through. This, imo, is how games should be, choice of realistic difficulties not log in and get punched in the jaw.

As with GTA IV & Mafia II best to use keyboard/mouse for on foot and Xbox controller for vehicles.

Just buy it, it may be dated but it's great.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I played it for a bit when i got it and not played it since, must carry on with it tonight!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No, not so much at the mo ZB, got a lot on at the mo....

Ask a Question