Windows XP Dual boot WinXP 32-bit and 64-bit?

Reaction score
OK, so I fancy having a dabble in the world of 64-bit computing, but I know that I still need my 32-bit stuff to work because I can't get all the relevant drivers etc for my system as 64-bit. So can I dual boot 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, and if so can anyone explain in word of five syllables or less? :) I'm fairly up on this kinda thing, so a basic outline will do. Ta!

Reaction score
If you create a partition on your hard disk using Partition Magic or something along those lines you will then be able to install the 64-bit on the second partition. When you boot the computer up it will ask you which version of Windows XP would you like to use and the go off and run. I have a simular setup successfully running with Windows 98 and Windows 2000.

regards

MrShadow

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do like MrS suggest and make the partions. If you have a lot of drive space make extra patitons for storage and backups.
Their is freeware that can help ya do it but using Patition magic makes it easy.
Ya can do it in DOS if ya can drive that.
Intall 9X first and then 2000 or XP or it wont work.

Oh when ya install XP becarefull what drive you intall it on ya might erase 9X.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If This is a sever in a network ya might have some problems using a dual boot server.
Make sure that both OSes have the same computer name ect. or the other PCs on your network will only work on one OS. Other PCs kinda freak out when the net card IP has different names.

Reaction score
Hi there, it's simple, all you have to do:
1- If you have only one partition, use partition magic to create another one, no more than 6GB because you won't use more in presence of 32bit windows(Not all applications runs on a x64 windows,and be sure to backup your data before you start)
2-Restart your computer and boot from your 64bit windows cd.
3-Start setup and choose the 6GB partition for installation.
when done, right click on my computer, properties,advanced, click settings under startup and recovery,then click on edit.Rename the windows 64 menu name, to whatever you want, then save the file.
You're done.

Ask a Question