Dual Boot: Win2K Server and WinXP Pro

G

I have a test machine set up with WinXP Pro and a bunch of apps. I regularly restore the image using Ghost after I have tested some software, etc. I would like to be able to dual boot with Win 2K server. I do have multiple partitions and also Partition Magic 8.x From what I have read, my dual boot scenario might require installing Win 2K Server and then WinXP all over again.
I don't want to do that because I would have to reinstall all the apps, different browsers, etc

So:
1. Is it possible to install Win2K Server in a different partition and have it dual boot even though WinXP is already installed?
o
2. If I don't want to reinstall WinXP and all the apps, must I reformat the C partition, install Win2K server, image it with Ghost, and then restore the image I want to use each time

The first option is the preferred one. The second one is possible although much more inconvenient

Any advice on this one??? TIA....

B

Bjorn Landemoo

Yes, you can install Win2000 after WinXP.

Boot from your Win2000 CD and start a new installation. Ensure that you
don't install into the same partition as WinXP.

After Win2000 is installed, before you try to boot WinXP, replace the files
ntdetect.com and ntldr on your hard disk with the ones from your XP CD.

Best regards

Bjorn

Ask a Question