Dual Boot Problem

G

I have Win 98 on my C drive. I have Win XP on my D drive. It used to be a dual-boot system until I replaced my Win 98 drive. Now it just boots Win 98. I tried a BOOTCFG /REBUILD from the WIn XP Recovery Console but it only edited the BOOT.INI on the D drive (Win XP). There is still no BOOT.INI on the C drive (Win 98) so only Win 98 boots. What should the contents of the BOOT.INI on the WIN 98 drive look like?

R

Rob Elder, MVP

You need to reinstall XP. Both operating systems share common startup files
on the root of C: Modifying boot.ini alone will not fix the problem.

Claughaun said:
I have Win 98 on my C drive. I have Win XP on my D drive. It used to be
a dual-boot system until I replaced my Win 98 drive. Now it just boots Win
98. I tried a BOOTCFG /REBUILD from the WIn XP Recovery Console but it only
edited the BOOT.INI on the D drive (Win XP). There is still no BOOT.INI on
the C drive (Win 98) so only Win 98 boots. What should the contents of the
BOOT.INI on the WIN 98 drive look like?

G

Your C: HAD a boot sector which vecored it to the duel boot portion. Win98 had no respect for that and overwrote it. If you have a Ghosted backup of your C:, that would replace the original boot sector. If not, you need a bootsector pointing to your WinXP. VCom makes a multiboot program called Boot Commander that looks for operating systems and adds them to its multiboot list. It cost me about $40. If you want to retain your current installation, that might be the best way to go

G

I reinstalled XP. Still doesn't recognize my Win 98 system. Tried Repairing XP still no joy. Disconnected D drive. Win 98 still won't boot. How do I get back to just the 98 system?

Ask a Question