DSL router not recognized - XP Home

G

I am trying to make a Acer Aspire 1603 laptop work with a SpeedTouch 510i DSL router, made by Alcatel

Already, a Acer Centrino 1.4 is working falwlessly via the router as the first machine on the LAN

Both laptops run on XP Home

The Aspire is hooked up via Ethernet (just like the new Centrino machine).

Under Network Connections on the Aspire, the Local Area Connection is enabled. Checking Status, I get

Under Support

Address Type Invalid IP Addres
IP Adress 0.0.0.
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.
Default gateway (nothing - the laptop can't see the DSL router

Under General

Status connecte
Duration (counter is running
Speed 100 Mbp

In the Network Connections, there is no Internet Gateway (DSL router absent

Cable is firmly attached and green LED on the router is on and bright green

The Centrino machine, as I said, recognized the router immediately and is linked to the Internet flawlessly

Stupid question: how can the Aspire be connected, but not recognize the gateway

Any ideas?? TKS.

G

I have exactly the same problem with different hardware. I have a Cisco router connected to my DSL line and a Linksys wireless access point router connected to the Cisco. I have a Dell desktop (running Win2000) wired directly to one of my Linksys ports. It works like a champ. I used to use an old Dell laptop (running Win2000) with a Linksys card to connect wirelessly. Alternatively I could run a cable from my laptop to the router and it would work as long as I set the TCP/IP to automatically find all of the addresses. Now I have a brand new Dell laptop running XP and it will not find the internet addresses. I get all zeros just like you do. The laptop will connect either with the wireless card or with the cable but doesn't find the gateway or DNS. If I ping my Linksys router it doesn't find it.

If anyone has suggestions for both or either of us, please send me an email with suggestions as well. To (e-mail address removed).

Thanks!!
Bill

Ask a Question