dropping partial connection--can't browse

SEC

Hello,

I've been having an on/off problem, in a nutshell, that my ability to browse
the web (IE 6.x) is lost, pages not found etc. However, whenever this
happens, we are able to use IM, send and receive email through Outlook and
outlook express, and play any Internet games as long as they are not played
using a web browser page. I can reconnect in 2 minutes by unplugging,
waiting, and then reconnecting the modem, but it's becoming a real
annoyance! I have also tried loading webpages through Netscape and Firefox
when the connection drops, but those browswers were also unable to connect.
This might happen 4 times in one day, and then be fine for weeks at a time.
It's very unpredictable and sporadic (yet annoying).

Roadrunner has been out twice, replacing both the modem and a cable that
looked a
little worn (but not completely cut or worn through.) They also report that
all equipment is working fine, and that the signals are perfectly fine.
I've got a router and all three computers on the network are affected--but
I've tested this with a direct hookup to the cable modem, and the problem
persists--so I'm pretty sure it's not the router.

Does anyone have any insight into what could possible cause interruptions
ONLY to the ability to browse the Web, but retain the ability to IM and
send/recieve email? I just can't find an answer to this problem through
roadrunner or Belkin tech support, google or Microsoft's knowledge base.

Many Thanks in advance!
SEC

Don Varnau

Hi,
Assuming Windows XP...
Some guesses...
1. Winsock corruption *should* also prevent Outlook, OE and other programs
from connecting, but you might try Winsock XP Fix from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

2. Might another program be automatically connecting and looking for an
update when this happens?

3. Disable (for diagnostic purposes) programs such as pop-up blockers,
security, toolbars and other add-ons for IE, anti-virus, etc. Take a look at
any program that might be interfering with IE. You may have to reconfigure,
reinstall, or not reinstall, a program. Turn on the Windows Firewall (from
Control Panel or Security Center) before disabling a third-party firewall.

4. Is the machine malware free? Have you run (at least) Ad-aware, Spybot and
(for XP) Windows Defender (Beta?)
See these sites for help:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

SEC

SEC said:
[...]

Thanks for your assistance...A couple of important pieces of information I
forgot to add to my post--yes, this is Windows XP sp2 I'm running. I was
going to try the Winsock fix you suggested, then realized it may be
important to emphasize that when this happens, it effects all three
computers on my network (both wired and wireless). So, I don't think it's an
issue with any particular computer's setup. I'm going to further explore the
possibility that it's my Belkin router--when I hooked up directly to the
cable modem from my laptop, the connection never actually dropped. It slowed
down considerably, but I've learned there's a local issue with my ISP. So,
it could indeed be a router based problem, which would explain why it's
affecting the whole network. In any case, could a Winsock issue affect the
whole network?

SEC

Don Varnau

"SEC" <readnbead[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

No. Winsock corruption would only affect one machine. It does sopund like a
network, modem, router, ISP issue.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

SEC

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Just an update for the archives (I hate when I'm researching an issue and
the resolution is never posted!) I decided to go to network/router route to
troubleshoot the problem, since roadrunner has been out twice and replaced
the modem. I've replaced my Belkin F5D7230-4 with the Linksys WRT54G and
it's been problem-free for nearly 48 hours. There's no way of telling if the
Belkin router simply had an issue, or if that particular model is a problem.
In any case, with luck, I have not jinxed myself and the problem is solved.
Thanks for the assistance,

SEC