Driving Text Box display from Combo Box Selection

G

I am working from 2 tables - 'Items' and 'Materials'. The 'Items' table includes thing like 'Item Width' and 'Item Length'. The 'Materials' Table includes things like 'Material Spec Number', 'Material Name', 'Material Gauge'. I am working on a Form to allow the user to input information about 'Items' (one being the 'Material Spec'). I have created a combo box that allow the user to choose the appropriate spec from a list.

Based on this choice, I want to populate separate Text Boxes with addtional information about the material - such as Material Name, Material Gauge etc.

Obviously, I'm new to Access. Can you offer some education? Thanks

M

Marshall Barton

Jon said:
I am working from 2 tables - 'Items' and 'Materials'. The 'Items' table includes thing like 'Item Width' and 'Item Length'. The 'Materials' Table includes things like 'Material Spec Number', 'Material Name', 'Material Gauge'. I am working on a Form to allow the user to input information about 'Items' (one being the 'Material Spec'). I have created a combo box that allow the user to choose the appropriate spec from a list.

Based on this choice, I want to populate separate Text Boxes with addtional information about the material - such as Material Name, Material Gauge etc.

Obviously, I'm new to Access. Can you offer some education? Thanks

Set the combo box's RowSource query to include the "extra"
fields you want to display in a text box, Nake sure you
adjust the combo's ColumnCount property accordingly. If you
don't want to see these fields in the dropdown list, just
their corresponding ColumnWidth value to 0.

You can then use a text box to display one of the "extra"
values by using an expression like:
=combobox.Column(2)
to display the third field in the RwoSource.

Ask a Question