Downloading file from typing a URL in address bar

When I type a url of a location of a word document in the address bar to
download it I get an error.

Error message is:
"Internet Explorer cannot download .... 'something.doc' from 'url'
Internet explorer was not able to open this Internet Site. The requested
site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

However when I create an html page with the link of the same URL and click
the link from there. IE downloads the file and open it into WORD.

I tried this with at least 2 separate computers and I got the same problem.
Plus as a test I tried it with Firefox and I didn't get any problems
downloading the document from just tying the link in the address bar.

Don Varnau

Thanks. Unfortuantely it's not located on a secure site. It's when I TYPE
the direct address in the address bar is when I recieve that message.
For example.

http://www.mysite.com/files/20050402myfile.doc

If I put this link on a web page and click on the link, I get no error with
IE. Only when I do the above.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
If the DOC file is on a secure (HTTPS) site, these articles may help:
316431 - PRB Internet Explorer Is Unable to Open Office Documents from an
SSL Web Site:
812935 - Internet Explorer Cannot Download Error Message When You Use an
HTTPS URL to Open an Office Document or PDF File:

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Alexius" wrote in message
When I type a url of a location of a word document in the address bar to
download it I get an error.

Error message is:
"Internet Explorer cannot download .... 'something.doc' from 'url'
Internet explorer was not able to open this Internet Site. The requested
site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

However when I create an html page with the link of the same URL and click
the link from there. IE downloads the file and open it into WORD.

I tried this with at least 2 separate computers and I got the same problem.
Plus as a test I tried it with Firefox and I didn't get any problems
downloading the document from just tying the link in the address bar.

Robert Aldwinckle

Alexius said:
Thanks. Unfortuantely it's not located on a secure site. It's when I TYPE
the direct address in the address bar is when I recieve that message.
For example.

http://www.mysite.com/files/20050402myfile.doc

If I put this link on a web page and click on the link, I get no error with
IE. Only when I do the above.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Do you have another example? This one is just an HTML page
which is intercepting an HTTP 404 condition ("Page not found".)

BTW do you have AutoComplete for Web addresses (aka AutoSuggest)
active? (in Options, Contents tab, AutoComplete Settings dialog)

If so, a third way of opening the page, in between clicking and typing,
would be to use the AutoSuggest dropdown. Start by typing whatever
portion of mysite you need to bring it into view in the dropdown, then
press CursorDown (or CursorUp or Tab) until the chosen URL is in your
Address bar and press Enter. Let us know what your symptoms are
with that method. If it doesn't work (e.g. causes the same symptom
that your typing method does) Don's suggestion to delete History
(or at least clear it while IE is inactive) would be on target.

To clear History while IE is inactive you need to use the Internet Properties
dialog (e.g. Internet Options started from Control Panel or just Run...
intetcpl.cpl
)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

We're using a Windows 2000 environment. Installed all the latest service
packs and recommended security updates.

However I still receive this problem even after deleting all Temporary files
and cache.. cookies... etc..

Here is a test link

http://basecamp.robertsontelecom.com/test/folder1/2005jul12filefortesting.doc

If you type that in the address bar.. I get an error.

Now if you try it through a web page example:
http://basecamp.robertsontelecom.com/test/folder1/test.htm

Now click on the link.. I am able to receive the document.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Longshots...
You don't mention the OS, but try deleting the Temporary Internet Files
folder and the History Folder for the affected user account. See:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Alexius" wrote in message
Thanks. Unfortuantely it's not located on a secure site. It's when I TYPE
the direct address in the address bar is when I recieve that message.
For example.

http://www.mysite.com/files/20050402myfile.doc

If I put this link on a web page and click on the link, I get no error with
IE. Only when I do the above.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your response, and ideas.

I gave another example in one of my other reply threads.

See if you have any luck with it.

Plus, I don't have autocomplete as well I cleared all my cache, history or
any temporary internet files.

The funny thing is.. I'm not the only one getting this error.. The other
people in my party which are located elsewhere gets the same error for this
reason.

Robert Aldwinckle

Alexius said:
Hi,

We're using a Windows 2000 environment. Installed all the latest service
packs and recommended security updates.

However I still receive this problem even after deleting all Temporary files
and cache.. cookies... etc..

Here is a test link

http://basecamp.robertsontelecom.com/test/folder1/2005jul12filefortesting.doc

If you type that in the address bar.. I get an error.

Now if you try it through a web page example:
http://basecamp.robertsontelecom.com/test/folder1/test.htm

Now click on the link.. I am able to receive the document.

Bizarre!

Here is the *only* difference in the two cases (in the request headers)

Works:

Accept: */*

Doesn't work:

Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/msword, */*

Both of the responses end with these:

Accept-Ranges: bytes

In case it matters, this is on XPsp2

I'm wondering if the actual file data could be the problem
e.g. if MIME sniffing which is usually active would change
the symptom by being disabled (in Security Settings,
Miscellaneous section.)

Do you have the same symptom with other files which purport
to be msword too?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

:

"Alexius" wrote in message
When I type a url of a location of a word document in the address bar to
download it I get an error.

Error message is:
"Internet Explorer cannot download .... 'something.doc' from 'url'
Internet explorer was not able to open this Internet Site. The requested
site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

However when I create an html page with the link of the same URL and click
the link from there. IE downloads the file and open it into WORD.

I tried this with at least 2 separate computers and I got the same
problem.
Plus as a test I tried it with Firefox and I didn't get any problems
downloading the document from just tying the link in the address bar.

I did discover something though, that may be linked to how the browser
interprets the url with subdomains.

When I type the url exactly with "http://" it is unable to determine the
location of the file. However if I type it without the "http://", and just
the URL itself. IE is able to read the file.

I also found that this only applies to subdomains. Such as my example:
basecamp.robertsontelecom.com

If however I place this file in www.robertsontelecom.com I don't encounter
this problem.

Interesting..