Domain question

Paul Edwards

We have a win2k AD domain between 2 of our offices which our both networked
together.

We also have 3 other offices that our NOT networked together. The each have
a seperate standalone networks. Some time in the future we will be
networking all the buildings together but there is not timeline set.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to config these servers so
that down the road when they can be incorporated into the current AD domain
it would go relatively seamless.

I am planning on creating 3 seperate domains for each of the remote offices.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Paul Edwards
(e-mail address removed)

Danny Sanders

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to config these servers
so
that down the road when they can be incorporated into the current AD domain
it would go relatively seamless.

The best way is to configure them as workgroups for now. There is no way to
install them as DCs and incorporate them into the current AD domain without
a LOT of work.

In a domain model these 3 sites can either be "sites" in one domain or as
child domains of your existing domain.
Each "site" should have a domain controller, in the current domain, that can
replicate with the other DCs in the domain, and each child domain MUST have
communication with the parent domain in order to make it a child of the
parent.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

Ben [MSFT]

Paul,

Another possibility is if the 3 non-connected networks are already
configured in their own domains (or plan to be) you can use a migration
tool such as ADMT to migrate objects such as users, groups, machine accts,
etc to the W2K AD domains at a later point.

blim
| >From: "Paul Edwards" <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Domain question
| >Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:05:50 -0500
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
| >
| >We have a win2k AD domain between 2 of our offices which our both
networked
| >together.
| >
| >We also have 3 other offices that our NOT networked together. The each
have
| >a seperate standalone networks. Some time in the future we will be
| >networking all the buildings together but there is not timeline set.
| >
| >Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to config these servers
so
| >that down the road when they can be incorporated into the current AD
domain
| >it would go relatively seamless.
| >
| >I am planning on creating 3 seperate domains for each of the remote
offices.

| >Any suggestions would be great.
| >
| >Thanks
| >
| >Paul Edwards
| >[email protected]

Tommy Forsman

Hi!

I am in the same situation as Paul, but for me the "external" office already
have a NT4 domain. I was hoping that I could upgrade it to 2003 and at the
same join the headoffice DC as a child domain. Is this possible?

Tommy

Ben [MSFT]

Tommy,

Yes it is possible. During the dcpromo after the NT4-->W2K3 upgrade you
can promote it as a child domain in an existing fores.

blim