Doing my head in

G

I am trying to create a database to show the homework I set for my various classes.
I want to be able to enter homework for each class and then see a list of students and record their grades for each piece of work. I have a class table, students table , homework and homework details tables, I have used the homework details table as a junction between class table and homework table (as many classes have many homeworks and many homeworks have many classes). However when I try and get my list of students who have a particular homework it fails. The class table and the students table are connected using the class primary field in class to class foreign key in students.

Can anyone help me?

J

Jeff Boyce

Are you saying you have something like:

tblClass
ClassID
ClassName

tblStudent
StudentID
ClassID

If so, how do you show a student with more than one class?

G

Thanks for your reply...

These are for my own classes, so no student appears in any other class

G

Open a query and show the Homework table, the homework details table, the class table, and the students table. Drag the following fields to the grid: tblHomeworkDetails-HomeworkID, tblHomework - HomeworkDescription, tblClass-ClassID, tblClass - ClassName, tblStudents - StudentName. Open the query in datasheet view. If you want to filter it by homework assignment, you can enter the HomeworkID number in the criteria for that field of the query.

This query provides a list of who is in which class that got a particular homework assignment. But what it doesn't do, is assign the homework to the student. What if a student is out sick for the assignment - is it still assigned to him/her? Which table are the grades for the homework recorded in?

By the way, in line with what Jeff asked... Does a student ever repeat a class? Or will you have the same student next year/semester/term?

Ask a Question