Does MSN require WM for all services?

Paul Westwell

Just to add to my previous post....

I am confused if MSN messenger still requires Windows messenger to be
installed on the same machine for all services to work, in particular I
refer to remote assistance.

Regards,

Paul

Michael Katz [MVP]

Nope, you don't need both. You can uninstall WM if you'd like. I just keep
it around in case MSN Messenger decides to start crashing (my system's very
tempermental).

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Paul Westwell

Thanks Michael,

Can you help with my problem with remote assistance not work?

Linksys BEFRS41W UPnP enabled, Mcafee Firewall & Antivirus, XP Home with SP2
(4 machines in total, three hardwired and one wireless)

Used to work fine, now will not work even within my own LAN.

I can request remote assistance from one machine to another using for
example "Start, Help & Support, Invite a friend to connect to your computer
with remote assistance" The originating machine reports "Invitation has been
sent out" and then I accept the invite at the terminating machine which
reports " you have accepted an invitation for remote assitance". The
originating machine then reports "Invitation is accepted" and the
terminating machine opens a window titled "Remote Assistance" with
machine titled "Remote assistance -- Web Page Dialog" with "Remote
Assistance Failed. Please Try Again"

That's about as far as I get.

As I mentioned further up this used to work fine, since then I have made a
number of changes including SP2, MSN upgrades etc etc.

Interestingly, video, audio, application sharing, file transfer, games etc
etc all work fine both within my network and outside it, the only problem I
have found is remote assistance from any of my machine to any others!

Please help... its driving me mad!

Regards,

Paul

Paul Westwell said:
Just to add to my previous post....

I am confused if MSN messenger still requires Windows messenger to be
installed on the same machine for all services to work, in particular I
refer to remote assistance.

Regards,

Paul

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Hi Paul,

Yes; if you remove Windows Messenger, Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing will
no longer work and any other application that attempts to access Windows Messenger may appear
to freeze or crash.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Hi,

Yes you do.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

Paul Westwell said:
Just to add to my previous post....

I am confused if MSN messenger still requires Windows messenger to be installed on the
same machine for all services to work, in particular I refer to remote assistance.

Regards,

Paul

Michael Katz [MVP]

I've been able to use Remote Assistance without having WM present as well...

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Jonathan Kay said:
Hi,

Yes you do.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

Paul Westwell said:
Just to add to my previous post....

I am confused if MSN messenger still requires Windows messenger to be
installed on the same machine for all services to work, in particular I
refer to remote assistance.

Regards,

Paul

Michael Katz [MVP]

Paul, I've never run into any issues with those apps after having removed
Windows Messenger, but Jonathan is saying that you can run into such
problems... My suggestion to you is to keep both, since it doesn't really
hurt to have them both present. Sorry for the confusion.

Paul Westwell said:
Thanks Michael,

Can you help with my problem with remote assistance not work?

Linksys BEFRS41W UPnP enabled, Mcafee Firewall & Antivirus, XP Home with
SP2 (4 machines in total, three hardwired and one wireless)

Used to work fine, now will not work even within my own LAN.

I can request remote assistance from one machine to another using for
example "Start, Help & Support, Invite a friend to connect to your
computer with remote assistance" The originating machine reports
"Invitation has been sent out" and then I accept the invite at the
terminating machine which reports " you have accepted an invitation for
remote assitance". The originating machine then reports "Invitation is
accepted" and the terminating machine opens a window titled "Remote
Assistance" with "Loading...." in the middle, a second window opens on the
terminating machine titled "Remote assistance -- Web Page Dialog" with

Paul Westwell said:
Just to add to my previous post....

I am confused if MSN messenger still requires Windows messenger to be
installed on the same machine for all services to work, in particular I
refer to remote assistance.

Regards,

Paul

Michael Katz [MVP]

Okay, after having a chat with Mr. Kay, it's come to my understanding that I
misinterpreted what you wrote as "can Remote Assistance work without WM?".
Yes, it can, via Help & Support on the Start Menu. However, for you to use
it in MSN, you need to have WM present. Okay, that's my story and I'm
stickin' to it...

After this whole episode, I think I need to lie down.

Michael Katz said:
Nope, you don't need both. You can uninstall WM if you'd like. I just
keep it around in case MSN Messenger decides to start crashing (my
system's very tempermental).

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

Just to add to my previous post....

I am confused if MSN messenger still requires Windows messenger to be
installed on the same machine for all services to work, in particular I
refer to remote assistance.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Westwell

Michael,

To be on the safe side I put WM back on both machines I was testing with,
rebooted then ran "repair" on MSN messenger but it made not the slightest
difference regardless of where you initiated remote assistance from.

Anymore idea's? I've run out!

There are a number of other people reported the exact same problem as myself
if you search for "Remote Assistance Failed. Please Try Again" but none of
them seem to have had replies....

Regards,

Paul

"Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
Nope, you don't need both. You can uninstall WM if you'd like. I just
keep it around in case MSN Messenger decides to start crashing (my
system's very tempermental).

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

Just to add to my previous post....

I am confused if MSN messenger still requires Windows messenger to be
installed on the same machine for all services to work, in particular
I refer to remote assistance.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Westwell

Jonathan...

I'm really confused now..... Whiteboard and application sharing were working
fine (certainly within my own LAN) with WM uninstalled, by that I mean I
unchecked it from add/remove programs then add/remove windows components.

It makes no difference to me if WM is installed or not for those
applications to work, I cannot for the lif of me get the blooming remote
assistance to work.

Maybe that might give a clue as to what is wrong ?

I have reinstalled WM and will leave it like that.

Regards,

Paul

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Hi Paul,

Actually that's not uninstalling, that's just hiding the shortcuts, see here:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/screens/winmsgrremove.png
so this isn't your issue.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

Paul Westwell

Jonathan,

Thanks, that has cleared that one up, I've never been sure about that for
years!

Any more ideas on what could be causing the error "Remote Assistance failed,
please try again", this occurs even within my own small network. (details in
other post from myself)

Regards,

Paul

Paul Westwell

I finally fixed this, I notice a number of other people were suffering the
same problem so hopefully someone else will benefit from my pain!

I determined the problem was nothing to do with my router and only occurred
when the request was made to one of my 4 PC's not from it.

Re-installing SP2 was the answer, initially I installed it on all 4 machines
from the Windows Update, this time I downloaded to 250Mb file from the
Microsoft website and just ran the install again without removing the
existing SP2.

That fixed them all one by one!

Others I have spoken to resolved the problem in the same way, all of them
that suffered took SP2 from Windows updates rather then downloading the full
250Mb file.

Hope this helps someone.

Paul

Paul Westwell

Paul Westwell said:
[...]

Kelly

Thanks for the feedback, Paul. This will help others. Glad you have it
sorted. :blush:)

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)