Does Microsoft Regclean work ?

mikeyhsd

I would think that regclean is a bit too old to use on vista.
lots of people seem to like Ccleaner.
but be extremely careful and know what the thing is recommending to delete before allowing it.
make sure it makes backups of the deleted items.

(e-mail address removed)

Before I install it, does the MS regclean that I use to run for XP work in
Vista?

Kerry Brown

Regclean hasn't been supported for years. It is no longer available because
it caused problems. Do not use it with any OS let alone Vista.

Retired

That's incorrect. RegClean (Register Cleaner) is an OS tool, not an Office
tool. I doubt if there is a version that is compatible for Vista (at least,
not yet).

Richard Urban

Regclean wasn't even certified for Windows XP. It broke many things. It is
certainly not usable in Vista.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Chad Harris

If anyone thinks they can show us what *any reg cleaner is actually doing under that superficial gui facade, I'd like to have a front row seat when you put it up. I love the farce of a registry cleaner saying that it fixed hundreds of problems in the reg.

Why I don’t use registry cleaners

by Ed Bott

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

I don't use them either. You don't need them if you use the other tools for Windows hygiene like SFC. When you uninstall major apps, use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. It gets rid of registry orphans in the way of uninstalls or future installs.

CH

I would think that regclean is a bit too old to use on vista.
lots of people seem to like Ccleaner.
but be extremely careful and know what the thing is recommending to delete before allowing it.
make sure it makes backups of the deleted items.

(e-mail address removed)

Before I install it, does the MS regclean that I use to run for XP work in
Vista?

Rick Rogers

I am in agreement with Chad on this one. No one should be using any reg
cleaner for generic cleanup. The sole exception to this is a utility that is
designed by a program vendor to remove entries specific to their application
(sort of like what symclean does).

Too many people are still thinking of the registry bloat and dead entry
issues that occured in Win98. They simply do not apply in NT systems. I've
seen more damage done by these cleaners than issues they've resolved.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
[...]

Leythos

Before I install it, does the MS regclean that I use to run for XP work
in Vista?

Leave the registry alone - it's not something that you should be messing
with if you have to ask the question.

Retired

Thanks. Plato. This needs to be repeated often because some just do not seem
to get it.