document template - how to get autotext field update when saved

In MS Word, is there a way a document template can be set up to allow the
autotext field 'filename' to be updated automatically when work is saved into
a new word document?

Thanks for you response. More directly, my question is when saving work from
a document template into a document, is there a way to make that new
document filename show up in the FILENAME field?

garfield-n-odie [MVP]

In Word, a template is a .dot file, and a document is a .doc
file. You would not normally save work from a document template
into a document. You should create a new document based upon a
template, and then save the document to the filename of your
choice. The filename field is not updated automatically upon
save. Method 1 in the referenced KB article can be used at any
time to update the filename field. You might be able to create a
FileSave() macro that saves the file and updates the filename
field.

Charles Kenyon

Take a look at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/File_Name_And_Path.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Tom @ Kent State University" <Tom @ Kent State
news:[email protected]...

John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

The FILENAME field always contains the file name of the document in which
the field resides.

If you copy the filename field into a new document ore template, the field
will return the file name of the new document or template.

Read the article the pasta-infatuated one sent you to to see how to overcome
a bug in the design of the mechanism.

Cheers

Thanks for you response. More directly, my question is when saving work from
a document template into a document, is there a way to make that new
document filename show up in the FILENAME field?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <[email protected]>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410