DNS Urgent Help

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Applications' started by Guest, Jun 26, 2005.

    Dear All,

    We are Planing to Have One Forest, with Multiple Domains Trees as the
    following :-

    1. KTC.COM
    2. MUX.COM
    3. TRU.COM
    4. LON-UK.COM

    and Each one of the abouve Domain have 25 users as the following :-
    1. KTC.COM ( Have 25 Users ).
    2. MUX.COM ( Have 25 Users).
    3. TRU.COM ( Have 25 Users).
    4. LON-UK.COM ( have 25 Users ).

    So the Total Users will be 100 Users.

    i am going to install KTC.COM as the Forest Root Domain, & Install DNS
    server on one Machine and configure one Forward Zone with name of the Forest
    Root Doamin which is ( KTC.COM) and this DNS server is the Root ( .) .

    and i found that its Working and the Forest Root is Working and the Domain
    Controller is Able to communicate with the Default DNS.

    All of 100 users in the Same Network with this IP-Address Schema (
    192.168.1.X ) / 24.

    Now, i want to install the Domain ( MUX.COM) as New Domain Tree in the
    exsisting Forest to share the same Exchange Box.

    so what i did is :-

    1. Bring New Server.
    2.Install Windows Advanced Server 2000 Enterprise edition.
    3.Put this IP-Address 192.168.1.20 & the DNS For this server will be the
    Same which is 192.168.1.20.
    4. Install the DNS on that Machine.
    5.Run this Command ( DCPROMO).

    Here is the Problem, i found that , while i am trying to install the domain,
    its display error message which is ( The Domain Controller for Domain
    KTC.COM, is Not available ).

    so when i face this situation, i said to my self, this is because the Domain
    ( MUX) is unable to find the DNS and then unable to find the Domain
    Controller for KTC.

    ( Because the Role is , the Active Directory Clients - WinXP-PRO, Win
    Server, Win2000 Pro, Win98 ...ETC, should first ASK there DNS server to Get
    from him the Specifc Resource Recourd , and in this Case i was installed DNS
    on This Machine and i made it as Root , which is Wronge ).

    So what i did is :-
    1.uninstall the DNS server from the Domain ( MUX.COM )
    2.Create Forward Lookup Zone with this Name ( MUX.COM).
    3. Configure the Server to register him self in the DNS of the Domain
    KTC.COM ( By Changing the IP-Address of the Preferd DNS server, to be the DNS
    server of the Domain KTC.COM , instead of MUX.COM ).
    4. Run again the DCPROMO Command .

    then i found that its working Perfect. without any problem and the Trust
    Relation ship is created automatically and the Users in Both Domains are able
    to access each other .

    My Questions is :-

    1. Can the DNS Host Multiple Domains like My Situation , or Not ?

    2. is there any Problems i will face it in the Future from this Design ,
    with One DNS Server and hosted Multiple Domains on it , and the clients for
    MUX , will recorde them self only in MUX.COM Forward Lookup Zone, and the
    users of KTC.COM, will register them self in the KTC.COM Forward Lookup Zone.
    , do you excepect any Problems in the Future ?
    I tested it from The Clients which is they are register them self in The
    Forward Lookup Zone of the domain KTC.COM, by using the command NSLOOKUP, and
    i found that they are able to commnuicate with the DNS server & can see each
    other in this Forward Lookup Zone only with the name of the Domain ( KTC.COM
    ), while they are unable to see any Resource for the domain ( MUX.COM ) at
    all, and the same situation for MUX.COM, they are able only to see the
    Resouce in the Domain MUX.COM only and unable to see the Resource in KTC.COM.

    so do you think i am correct , or not ? Please Help ?

    Guest, Jun 26, 2005

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Cross-post when necessary, but never multi-post. Cross-posting is when you
    include two or more groups in the "Newsgroups:" section. In this scenario
    the message and all responses are seen in all groups that the message was
    cross-posted to. In other words any replies will automatically propagate to
    the other newsgroup posts.

    Multi-posting is when you post the same message to two or more groups
    individually. In this scenario the message is seen in the groups it is
    posted to, but the responses are only seen attached to the message (unless
    you cross-post the reply) in which the response was made. So those that
    frequent these groups then need to deal with or re-read the posts. It may
    seem like a small thing to keep track of. But some of us actively traverse
    50 or more groups. The poster also then must search out all of the posts to
    see if there was a response.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional