DNS Updating

If a client is using DHCP to obtain a IP and it leases a new IP to it, does
DNS update this ? For instance a client is

192.168.1.1 and the client requests a new lease and the DHCP server assigns
it 192.168.1.4 does this update the DNS record ?

Thanks - I was curious.

Dominik Zurek

Hi,

it depends on the configuration of the DHCP server. Right-click on the Dhcp
Scope you have, select Properties -> DNS tab and check , what you have
there.

Regards
Dominik Zurek

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Gsurfdude said:
If a client is using DHCP to obtain a IP and it leases a new IP to
it, does DNS update this ? For instance a client is

192.168.1.1 and the client requests a new lease and the DHCP server
assigns it 192.168.1.4 does this update the DNS record ?

Thanks - I was curious.

In addition to Dominik's response, it also depends on what DHCP service
being used. Is it the router's or is it a Windows DHCP?

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...