dns address disappeared

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 DNS' started by Bob Smith, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Bob Smith

    Bob Smith Guest

    "Jaime D" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have more than 150 windows 2k prof. pc's managed by two
    > windows 2000 servers. Everything works fine (Incredible!).
    >
    > Sometimes one o more desktop computers change DNS
    > configuration in the network settings so the dns server
    > address... disappears (blank address: " . . . ."). Amazing.
    >
    > Users don't have rights to modify this configuration.
    >
    > Any idea? Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jaime D

    what dns software do you use?
    /G

    Jaime D, Mar 15, 2004

  3. Bob Smith

    Jaime D Guest

    >what dns software do you use?

    dns server: windows 2000 server
    dns client: windows 2000 prof.

    Nothing special,

    Jaime D

    Jaime D, Mar 15, 2004
  4. In news:d82801c40a96$f3af2350$,
    Jaime D <> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    >> what dns software do you use?

    > dns server: windows 2000 server
    > dns client: windows 2000 prof.
    >
    > Nothing special,
    >
    > Jaime D

    Are you using DHCP on the Win2k?
    Option 006 enabled? With what addresses?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP], Mar 15, 2004
  5. Bob Smith

    Jaime Guest

    >Are you using DHCP on the Win2k?
    >Option 006 enabled? With what addresses?

    No, I don't: Each client has it Static IP: (192.168.1.x /
    192.168.2.x)

    Jaime

    Jaime, Mar 15, 2004
  6. In news:d3a001c40a9a$cc41c440$,
    Jaime <> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    >> Are you using DHCP on the Win2k?
    >> Option 006 enabled? With what addresses?

    > No, I don't: Each client has it Static IP: (192.168.1.x /
    > 192.168.2.x)
    >
    > Jaime

    You must have a security issue, if DHCP is not in use and the addresses are
    statically assigned.
    My suggestion would be to set up DHCP. It must be some chore to have to
    administer a static network if you have to go to each station to configure
    them.

    Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP], Mar 15, 2004
  7. In news:d3a001c40a9a$cc41c440$,
    Jaime <> posted their thoughts, then I
    offered mine
    >> Are you using DHCP on the Win2k?
    >> Option 006 enabled? With what addresses?

    > No, I don't: Each client has it Static IP: (192.168.1.x /
    > 192.168.2.x)
    >
    > Jaime

    So you're saying that each client is statically configured an IP, Subnet
    mask, Gateway, and a DNS address and for some strange reason *just* the DNS
    address, but nothing else, just disappears out of the config? Hmm...

    Is there any other software or client, such as Novell, or anything else, on
    these machines that may affect network configuration somehow?

    Is the DHCP client service or NetBIOS helper service disabled on these
    machines by chance?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    =================================

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Mar 15, 2004
  8. Bob Smith

    Jaime D Guest

    >Is there any other software or client, such as Novell, or
    anything else, on
    >these machines that may affect network configuration

    somehow?

    No Novell, nothing special.

    >Is the DHCP client service or NetBIOS helper service

    disabled on these
    >machines by chance?

    Now is everything working. The next time it occurs I'l be
    watching this services. Many thanks for this information,

    Jaime D.

    Jaime D, Mar 16, 2004
  9. In news:dc5701c40b39$3ecab550$,
    Jaime D <> posted their thoughts, then I
    offered mine
    >> Is there any other software or client, such as Novell, or anything
    >> else, on these machines that may affect network configuration
    >> somehow?

    > No Novell, nothing special.
    >
    >> Is the DHCP client service or NetBIOS helper service disabled on
    >> these machines by chance?

    > Now is everything working. The next time it occurs I'l be
    > watching this services. Many thanks for this information,
    >
    > Jaime D.

    Ok, keep an eye on that stuff. I would also make sure your AV is upto date
    and you have some sort of anti-adware and/or trpjan finder too. Check the
    Event viewer also.

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Mar 16, 2004
  10. Jaime, me suenas a espaƱol, adsl, y router por las direcciones que das, mira
    si el router esta dando dhcp a los equipos, que pueden ir por ahi los tiros

    Guillermo Garate
    MCP,MCSA,MCSE,CCNA,CCA
    "Jaime D" <> escribiĆ³ en el mensaje

    Guillermo Garate, Mar 17, 2004